The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the factory nav with a Kenwood and Meastro and figured out how to connect the camera to the HU, however, I am now getting horizontal static lines across the screen. When I first did the install, it was much warmer out, in the 50's or warmer, and saw no lines, but now that it is in the 30's and colder the lines are there. Is there a shield I missed or something? THe plug that went into the Factory Nav has 3 pins, video+ video- and the third presumably is shield. I tried grounding the shield, but had no camera output that way, and when I removed it, camera worked and was clear.

Do I need to add a resister to ground for the shield, or is there something else I can do?

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
Have you tried to warm the cab to see if the lines go away?? Sounds more like a display issue to me. Unless there's a wiring issue outside the truck, or something came loose.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Oh man you stepped in it now. Depending on how this truck is equipped, the camera is wired to the FDIC, APIM or IPMB. All modules. The problem is that you installed a new audio head therefore conventional diagnostics will not help. You might want to contact Kenwood/Meastro and see what they have to say. Also, temporarily restoring the system back to stock to see if the concern clears may be worth your while. In my experience, most parking aid rear view camera problems have been related to the camera itself... some relevant to low ambient temperatures.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it may be the case of a chilly camera. When warm it looks normal. The screen actually looks like it's TV interference as the line wiggle a bit as I rev the truck, almost as if it's picking up bad ignition noise. That's why I wonder if its a sheild issue. Diagrams don't show the shield connections very well as to what it is actually connecting to, but apparently it is not ground. :)

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
As I mentioned previously, the cold weather related problems were camera related.

The shield ground depends on the system configuration. All BUT the base parking aid system show the shield wired into which ever module is used in that system. The base system used ground G200 behind the left center of the instrument panel.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Past few times I have driven it, no more lines. So the issue is more than likely the camera since it started being clear after my last load of horse food, so must have slammed the tailgate just right. I will give the harness a once over in the spring, seems like it might just be a loose or bad connection at the tailgate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts