The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck has been giving off a strong smell of what I would describe as old gear oil. I've checked the ccv connection many times, all seems well there. Every time I drive the truck and shut it down you can smell it especially in the garage, then it's real strong. I have decided to try the CCV Mod and to also pull the intercooler for cleaning if you guys think that will help.
Two questions: Does the radiator need to come out to get the intercooler out? What's the best CCV Mod to install? I just want to get rid of this old stinky gear oil smell.
Bill

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So nobody knows if I have to pull the radiator to get the intercooler out?

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
I don't know the answer to your radiator question but if you are smelling gear oil I would first check at all the axle end tubes, and what about your standard transmission? Could gear oil be leaking onto the clutch enough to heat up and smell but not enough to cause slipping (yet)? Another trick is to park on some clean cardboard to see if there is a small drip you haven't noticed.

Not sure why you'd think the CCV mod will reduce smells, on the contrary it will make another smell you didn't have. I have heard of guys removing the intercooler on high mileage trucks and only finding a teaspoon or so of oil in them.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have checked the axle tubes and the tranny and everyplace else I could think of. I guess you are right that the CCV mod won't fix the problem but maybe a new crank case vent doghouse and o-rings might. When the truck is hot you can smell the old gear oil smell coming from under the hood the most. The only oil leak the truck has is at the rear main seal for the second time. Had it replaced by a shop here locally that gave a lifetime warranty and then went out of business. I am sick of this strong smell that fills the garage and even gets in the house if I leave the garage door to kitchen open.
Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts