The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 7.3L I am getting 1-2 psi at normal driving and max ive ever got was 8 I have a dieselsite 66mm turbo with 205cc injectors I already smoke tested the intake side and the exhaust side of the turbo I replaced my tube going to the map sensor and I’ve also checked the turbine spins freely and no play so if you guys had any advice that would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Have you pressure tested the intake side? Easy enough to make an adapter that you put in the intake right before the turbo and you can pressurize the system with a compressor. There are write ups here on it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
On the exhaust side look for soot deposits around the up-pipes and where the y-pipe attaches to the back of the turbo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I smoke tested and pressure tested both the intakes and exhaust side of the turbo no leaks were found

·
Registered
327 Posts
I can't imagine how you would pressure test the exhaust uppipes. Mine leaked at the donut gaskets and I replaced them with the bellowed ones. After a couple of weeks I went back to check and had a small leak at the exhaust manifold to up pipe connection which seems to have gone away after I tightened it down. Clearly, your pressure is going somewhere, or it's not being generated, or it's not being read correctly. If the impeller is good, maybe the exhaust side propeller is bad? How are you reading your pressure?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m reading it through the map sensor but I also mechanicaly tested the boost through the tube that goes to that nipple thing to the map sensor

·
Registered
327 Posts
I know on my Torque app there are listed several "boost" related PID's, and they all display differently. Some only display the pressure above the Barometric pressure reading, so at sea level you get 14.7 psi, but on these other PID's it would read 0. 8 on the gauge means 22. So, if you're sure your reading is correct, then it's one of the other 2 items... pressure leak(s), or pressure not generated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts