The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Live here in southwest B.C. here in Canada, and decided to take a 5 week trip to Alaska. Upon returning and doing the math, it ended up being $2470. Canadian $$ for fuel, and 10,300 kilometers overall or 6400 miles.
I had our Arctic Fox 990 camper in the bed, and with water and gear was about 4,000 lbs I'm guessing, plus my extended hitch and bikes attached to the hitch. Back seat was folded down, and gear also filled that area.
After carefully adding all receipts fuel mileage turned out to be 11.92 U.S. miles per gallon, which I didn't think was too bad, for the weight we where carrying. I do have the full delete, and Mini Maxx was on the 'wild' setting for the trip, but seeing as how we had lots of time, I really wasn't pushing it very often. Kept a keen eye on my programmer, and kept all the temps in check as well. Ran on 15w - 40 Royal Purple full synthetic and straight fuel, no additives. These long box 4 door trucks have a great sized fuel tank, and my electronic dash detail told me I was good for 745 km's before empty..which I didn't put much confidence in, although often I did have between 350 - 410 km's (217 - 254) at the half tank mark. One time it was right at 410 km's (254.7 miles) yet there are lots of fuel stations for those of us travelling the highways within the Yukon and Alaska. Might be dicey for those short box trucks with a small tank, but I never let mine go below 1/4 at any time.
No broken windshield or headlights, not flat tires. There was a fair bit of construction (longest was a 32 mile stretch of gravel) but overall pavement was the mainstay in most regions. Lots of bumps (frost heaves) and a few potholes, so you need to be safe and vigilant, but it was a great trip, and the folks of Alaska where friendly and helpful...couldn't ask for much more. Only had a couple days with rain on the whole trip...and in our time away I did stop at one of those outside car washes, just to spray off the accumulated dirt on one of the long gravel stretches after a rain.
If you ever get the chance, it's a trip that's hard to beat, so dive in and have a blast!

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Sounds like a great Adventure.

Thanks for the details.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts