The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was towing my trailer last week and on the way home up a nasty steep hill with the 13,000 lb trailer I heard a odd whine come from the engine or tranny. This sound sort of startled me as it ramped in as I was climbing with the throttle nearly on the floor in second gear holding steady RPM's at about 2600. Once I got to the top, I noticed as soon as I let off the throttle the sound went away. I noticed that the sound came back as the boost got to about 8 PSI and would build to a remarkable level as it approached red line. I spent the next night pulling the alluminum X thing from the turbo-compressor outlet, cleaned the 4 boots very well 3 times, re assembled everything and made sure it was all good and right. The sound was still there. I then went to see a tranny shop, they test drove it and said they never heard a tranny make a sound like this...and agreed it sounds almost like a siren from a cop car! They suggested that I had a turbo leak and I told them that I had just the night before checked all that. He then suggested I ruined a intake gasket and the sound may be an intake pressure leak. Im still seeing 25 PSI of boost easily and all things appear to function fine as normal. THis sound does not appear at all if I baby the truck and let it short shift and not make boost. Has anyone here seen this before? Im perplexed!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Mine made a similar sound, also towing my trailer. Seemed to be at 2300 rpm, and like you said, if I just let off the throttle, it went away. When it started it kind of sounded like radio static, but then progressed to sound like a massive air leak. I posted here about it, and was told it was turbo surge, or flutter, or something like that. It had never made this noise before. 37,000 on the ticker, 15,000 of that towing.

I took it to the dealer. They said the turbo had "excessive endplay" and replaced it under the 5 year warranty. I have not tested the new one yet, under a trailer load.

Like they told me here, "good luck." Let us know what you find out.

01 7.3 4x4 cc auto

·
Registered
680 Posts
It could be the fan clutch engaging, mine engages when I am pulling a load in hot conditions. When I let up on the gas and the rpms get around 2000, it stops. just an idea, especially for a stock truck. I may be wrong, but I have yet to hear of anyone w/ turbo surge/stall that has a stock truck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since it started over a week ago its non stop if I get on it. Its not the sound of the fan, I hear that now and again...thats a low pitch howl. This come on all the sudden, and now its there every day anytime I want to just push the pedal down a bit more than babying it. Its a siren sound...really! Its kind of funny, folks walking around on sidewalks turn to look before I am there....they are wondering what the heck is making this high pitch scream....almost sounds like a super bad to the bone turbo screaming at a bazzilion PSI of boost...only problem is its my same old 5 yr old banks turbo housing and banks compressor wheel. Nothing is new, just this really freakish sound!

·
Registered
164 Posts
My truck started making the same noise about a month ago. It does it at the peak of each shift, or as you experienced, when accelerating with the trailer. I hope you find out what it is - let us know.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
F350Guy, Do you have any idea what the cause could be? Did your start the first time like mine did on a very hard uphill pull? I know when this first started I was just abput 2 miles from home, and the next day I was praying that the sound would magically heal itself...but it did not. I still fear its tranny internals, or turbo related. Its really hard to nail down where the sound is coming from, it does not do it at all setting and idling, so I cant go under the hiid and listen for it. It sounds to me that its lower rear engine compartment, or at the tranny....it does not resemble a belt or front engine accessory sound. My plan at this point is to keep working her down the road until something fails. I found a local shop that will do a tranny for 1800 with heavy clutches, bands, update the pump and increase line pressure and add a shift kit. With my admitted trailer weight of about 12-13K lbs they said the warranty will be 2 yr/24K miles as long as I put a large cooler on it. Oh, thats the one other thing, when this sound came on I was at about 230 degrees on the tranny temp guage and 900 on post turbo EGT pulling that hill. I had the 6-gun on lvl 6 and the lvl 4 big hoss chip was in.

·
Registered
164 Posts
When I'm hard on the accelerator, or the cruise has forced a down-shift on the hiway while towing the trailer, I get the noise. I'm afraid it's turbo related because it seems to be coming from under the dash (kinda where the turbo sits) - that's where it seems to originate from. I turned off the overdrive to use the engine to slow my downhill speed once, and when the rpm's jumped up, the noise was there again. Does the turbo spin faster when you're off the throttle, but increasing engine speed to help with braking?

The really frustrating thing is that is doesn't do it %100 of the time, maybe only %70. It sure is loud though, sounds like a high pressure pop off valve screaming.

Reactions: BroncoGlenn

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yours sounds scary similar to mine. I asked my wife last night if she feels its from in front of her, or below her and she says she swears she hears it under her...? I dont hear some sounds that well, to many hours in front of too loud of engines...I cant hear a pushrod failing, my buddy can hear it as soon as there is a tick. I hate him, he hears things and I tell him he is nuts...then I tear into it and find he is right almost every time. Im just praying that this can hold out until late November when I'll have two things needed to tackle the sound seriously...time and money. I work OT all spring and fall in the nuclear power industry, its been a long summer with base pay for me, no OT for the last 3 months. Im sort of leaning to the turbo on mine as well, If I downshift to 2nd gear at 40MPH it will make the sound slightly, nothing like accelerating to 40 in second gear. I get some boost reading on the guage with a hard downshift, I guess the airflow from the engine increases enough to push the turbo speed up a bit...maybe 3-4 lbs of boost. My sound seems to really start ramping up at 8-10 lbs of boost and at 25 lbs its scary! The sound modulates with boost and RPM's, with each shift it drops a bit and ramps back up....and its not the normal high pitch turbo sound because I can still hear that along with this new scary sound. Maybe I'll run it thru a Ford dealer....but they hate my truck! They want it stock before they will work on it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
F350Guy, I was at a local truck-pull last night and went over to talk to a couple more experianced diesel dudes.....and I met a guy that owns a diesel performance shop a couple hours north of where I live. He made me an offer that if I advertise him on my personal webite (the largest PA/Oh truckpulling website known to man) that he will pressure test my intire intake system with his testing stuff and button my truck back up for free. He says our sound is a pin hole or crack in something on the pressure side that if we let go, will eventually show you where the leak is when it blows a boot wide open....or something to that effect. I know I just removed, cleaned, inspected, and re-installed my boots 2 weeks ago as I was trying to find this sound....and I did flex and look at the boots as well as I could...and I found nothing. But he says its probably a very small hole right now thats making that sound. I'll post shop location once I get a call from him that he has time for me. He is near Erie PA.
He did say normal price for this test will be 30-50 bucks.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The post where the sound was referred to as a police siren is a toasted turbo. Classic. Mine sounded exactly like that after I buried it with big injectors. Almost like a siren at first and then if you push it farther, it gets into a leaf blower noise? The turbo's toast dude. Take the intake ducting coming from the air filter off at the turbo, and see if the shaft has a lot of movement by pushing and pulling on the shaft(endplay). Some play should be observed if you push and pull perpendicualar to the shaft(radial play) but as long as clearance between the compressor wheel and the compressor housing is maintained that's okay. It's the endplay that's the problem.

I bet it just feels sluggish to make boost above that sound too. More than likely time for a new turbo at fault.

Good Luck though, maybe you'll find something other than turbo.

Charlie

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You could very well be correct....I wont argue that from my desk here at work...lol! I know the thing is still making boost, it still goes to 25 lbs under a wide open pull, and it still seems to cruise at 2-3 lbs going down the road. The sound is nasty, and I really...really....really hope you are not correct! Im not prepared to buy a new turbo, and the thought of changing it makes me cringe! Plus, I only have 30K miles on this truck, and the last 10K have been with Synthetic Amsoil and I NEVER shut off the engine until the EGT's get under 350 degrees. What could make a turbo that is well lubed and shut down cool....fail so suddenly and early in life? My truck is old in years, but its a 30K original miles truck.

·
Registered
419 Posts
What CharlieII is saying seems good to me, my turbo was diagnosed with excessive endplay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Larry, my truck does same exact thing. Sounds like an air leak, a real hollow high pitched sound, like blowing in a glass bottle really hard. I was dragging my pulling truck to lyman wyoming,(4 hours away). I stopped at a gas station, It was the only time I ever shut off my truck without cooling the turbo, but it wasn't that hot,maybe 400 degrees. I left the gas station and 30 min. up the road hit a pass, got almost to the top and I heard a pop and the turbo go from a whistle to the loud high pitched sound. drove the rest of the way to lyman (2 hours) and then home. Every time the boost got over 10 psi the noise would start and gets worse, with higher psi of boost. It will still build 23 psi no problem. I came home took to a banks dealer buddy and he said boots leakin'. I cleaned all of them, boots, pipes, intake spider,orange intake boots spotless and reassembled, still making that noise. I have since been to 4 or 5 pulls(4000 miles) dragging my truck and no lack of performance, just that awful annoying noise. I checked my turbo no excessive play or slack either way. Stock turbo, 3.5" downpipe, 3.5 straightpipe all the way and superchips 1700 programmer on 80 horse setting. My egts never get hot,over 950-1000 post turbo and boost will hold 23 psi. The only thing I can think of is a crack in a intercooler pipe or the intercooler, or maybe the intake manifolds on each side of the intake valley where the orange boots attach. Keep me posted, no one else understands the problem like you and I do. My sounds like it is coming right from the turbo area, right in front of my dash. I can't hear the noise out the exhaust when on it though which makes me think it's not in the turbo itself, because if the turbo was making the noise, I would here it out the tailpipe with the straightpipe on there. Let me know. Thanks Todd

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a buddy rev it while I stood at the tail pipe last Sunday and I hear no sound coming out the pipe. Sunday I straight piped my Excursion so if the sound where turbo related I think I would here it there, you really hear the turbo at the tailpipe! Im sort of thinking the TQ convertor...? The sound is like you described and comes on for me at about 8-10 PSI of boost and progresses into a wild wail as I get to 20+ PSI. I did also take my intercooler tubes off the intercooler Sunday and cleaned them as well as the boots down there (the pas side sux!) and it changed nothing. At this point I have torn apart each part from the turbo compresor outlet to the 2 orange intake boots, nothing has been untouched, uncleaned, and un inspected. I have found no visually detectable issues. So my next step may be to goto Ford and get a new revision triple disk TQ convertor ($200) and drop my tranny out this weekend and swap convertors. If that does not do it I have 2 more options....one I dont want to deal with....I have a diesel performance shop a few hours away that can pressurize my system and look for leaks. THis is a $50 dollar inspection. The other nightmare would be that something in the tranny itself has gone bad or nearly gone bad...and this I totally cant afford right now. Im being squeezed so tight this year I cant afford to "pay" attention......its that bad. The sound may be the convertor...the inside of it is a turbine to turbine fluid transfer, and maybe one or more of the turbine blades has left its normal position and is causing this horrid sound. Im just scared to death at this point that I may loose the use of the truck. Damn it, I should have gotten that extended warranty!

Do any of you know for a fact that the newest rev of the OEM convertor is a triple disk with furnace brazed turbine fins? I read this some time ago as well as the fact that the OEM convertor can be had new for $200 online. Anyone have the part number of the newest rev convertor handy to give me....? Will a Ford dealer know what I am talking about if I ask for the triple disk, furnace brazed, latest revision TQ convertor....?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I'll say turbo again. I don't have an auto, and the sound you described was the Exact sound that I heard mine making when it was calling for the grave. Police siren when driving slow like through the parking lot, then goes into leaf blower type noise with boost?

Turbo.

Charlie

·
Registered
17 Posts
Charlie mine doesn't make any weird noise driving slow through a parking lot. The only time you hear it is with boost. What did you have to replace on yours? rebuild or complete unit? And the noise went away?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Loud whining sound with RPMS 2000 7.3 Excursion.

Mine is silent at idle and low (sub 8 psi boost) boost. Mine starts to ramp up in at about 8-9 psi and raises thruout the boost range to a scary wail. I can actually drive the truck very softly without making hardly any of this sound, driving down the highway at 60 MPH on flat road...no sound but the usual. Hit a hill, or go for a pass and it comes in. Im wanting to think its some kind of queer boost leak issue because it seems so fixated on boost levels....as a matter of fact, if you stab the throttle hard in neutral the sound BARELY is percievable, its no where as loud as when driving under a load. I want to get pressure tested for leaks in case I am missing something. But, maybe Im thinking air but its not...and maybe its a broken sprag in the convertor..?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts

I've had both issues (blown sprag and blow turbo) and they do sound similar (although the sprag will stop you on the side of the road) I blew a lock ring in one of my tranny's from aggressive engine braking that sounded similar too but the coast clutch gave up the ghost in that one.

I'm voting for the turbo (sorry) the reason it sounds like it's tied to the boost is because it's tied to the load on the turbo which almost exactly mirrors the boost level. Are you getting any smoke when you let off the throttle (coasting)? This is another sure sign of turbo failure and if your's is, it will eventually ruin the seals and start burning oil on coast (under throttle the boost helps keep the oil at bay and the heat burns what little passes though to the exhaust)

Pull the intake boot from the air cleaner and turbo and see if you can wiggle the turbine shaft enough to make the impeller contact the housing, if it does... REPLACE THE TURBO IMMEDIATELY. If the intake impeller contacts the housing while the engine is running it will throw metal directly into your engine (yum) I assume you understand the consequences of that (too graffic to go into here, it's a family rated site)

·
Registered
17 Posts

I have checked my turbo for play, maybe a couple thousandths not excessive though. no smoke on a coast, today I listened and could hear a whine driving around at low speeds with no boost, then when i punch the whine goes away, and the loud noise comes on with boost. The slow speed whine sounds like a powersteering whine, but mine is not powersteering, but that is what it sounds like.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts