The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Re: Loud whining sound with RPMS 2000 7.3 Excursion.

When I did my intercooler tubes last sunday I pulled the air cleaner boot off and took a look at the inlet turbine and it has no percievable movement when I push/pull on the shaft. I also used a light and inspection mirror to look around a bit and see if there are any rub areas and I see none. I wont say its not the turbo, and I wont say its not the tranny.....Im just too damn stupid to figuire it out I assume. I can biuld and maintain a 1000 HP gas truck but I cant keep my wifes grocery truck running...go figuire.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: Loud whining sound with RPMS 2000 7.3 Excursion.

Larry, pull your turbo and check the exhaust wheel. I pulled mine tonight because last thurs-friday it started grinding on spool up and spool down. Took it to the Ford Dealer(service manager is a friend of mine) he drove it and said your f*@#ed. The bearings are shot. When I got it apart the exhaust wheel was chewed up big time on the outside. Something went through it and banged up the blades, that must of thrown of the balancing of the turbo and driving it for 2 months that way took out the bearings. Bad news but hope it helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing but trans. Power loss??

I had the same thing happen out in Colorado, had a load about 10,000 lbs going thru the mountains and it first started, ever since then I have to baby the truck more and it feels almost like I have some sort of loss of power in the trans as well...anyone ever figure out what it was? My truck a 99 f-350 with a 7.3 in it all stock made it almost to 200k without any problems at all now this! Please tell me it's easy and cheap!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue as the two guys with 8-10lbs before the extremely loud screaming siren/leaf blower/annoying howl starts up and scares everyone around me to death. It's embarrassing. Mine started shortly after two trips to Placerville, Ca. from Sacramento after I changed from the stock filter to a 6636 filter kit I purchased from one of these diesel performance places online. I called to ask them about it and they said yeah it's going to scream. That's the turbo. I says no way man! That sound is NOT normal. The guy I was speaking with didn't want to discuss it any longer and rudely pushed me off to someone else who would not pick up the phone. So,..... no more sales to them. Since then (This is one of my contractor service trucks loaded with tools and residential parts, and equipment) I've just told the drivers to baby it until I can find out what it is. I've tried opening that filter to give it more air, and closed it down for less air. And no difference in sound or when it starts / stops. It's constant above 8lbs unless you take your foot out of it and barely crack the throttle. I've been watching for more talk on this subject since it started and this is the first time I've seen anything that even came close to what I've been experiencing for 3 months. There's no end play, but I'm not a diesel genius either. But when I read here about it possibly being a hole in the intake? That makes the most sense to me. I'm just not sure where to check for these (as of right this minute) phantom holes. Can one of you experienced guys clue me in on where I should be looking? I'll report back any findings until I get it resolved. Thanks.

2002 Ford F350SD 7.3L 150,000 stock miles except the a few thousand with that 6637 kit

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
Check the intercooler boots. They can start to leak as boost builds up and could be causing the squeal you're hearing. There are 6 of them. 4 at the spider coming off the front of the turbo (two below to the engine intakes), and 2 more on each side of the radiator connected to the intercooler.

If one has a small split in it, it can make a noise like that once boost reaches a pressure to blow thru the split.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone found out what this issue is? I now have this problem and can't find the problem. I have done all the suggested fixes on this thread . I have taken it to several diesel shops all say turbo. There is hardly any turbo play at all. 2002 f 250 with 114220. Cleaned all the cac boots from diesel site and replaced the 2 lower ones on the y pipe to be safe. still the same noise and lack of mid range power. Even replaced the air filter with the ford super duty replacement system. still the same noise. Not against replacing the turbo, but don't want to if not needed. Any help to solve this issue is much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Buy or make a boost leak detector.

Check the compressor and turbine housings for contact. It could be either one of the wheels making contact.

Make sure the ebpv is working correctly. You can unplug the connector on the pedestal and see if the noise goes away.

Check all the lines on the intake manifold. One might be loose or split.

Possibly bad intake horn or compressor housing orings

·
Registered
2 Posts
I thought I had answered my own thread months ago but just received notice of other having the same problem. The problem was the gaskets on the pedestal.* O rings actually.* You can buy them* any auto parts store where they carry generic o rings.* I did this myself and saved $2600.00.* How?* Because that's what the diesel place wanted to replace the pedestal.* They said that was the problem and that the new pedestal itself was $750.* So listen to your gut and do the research.* I did and I'm very pleased since the O rings cost me* only $1.97.* Ha!

Ray Bell

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is the latest Replaced the turbo pedestal o rings to the block and the turbo, Rebuilt the ebp actuator with rebuild kit, checked everything....... Still sounds like pissed off leaf blower when I step on the go pedal. I am beginning to hate this truck!!! I guess I have to keep throwing perfectly good money at this piece of crap,, I LOVE REPLACING PARTS THAT DON'T NEED REPLACING !!! Any other ideas out there ??? next I guess either rebuild turbo or replace it ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
For those who have the siren howling kind of sound IT IS NOT THE TURBO don't go waste money on a new turbo I just did a full rebuild on my turbo and it has the same noise it is an exhaust leak from the exhaust manifold to the turbo somewhere in the up pipe area I know this because when I was putting everything together it was just myself and I couldn't tell if my exhaust housing had met up with my up pipes correctly and I forced the v-band on there and got everything else together and went for a drive the howl was so loud it sounded like a siren of some kind I went back took everything back apart (thinking I messed up in the rebuild process) I called the company I bought my kit from ( https://www.spturboost.com/ ) and I email pictures of all my parts and I was told it is definitely not the turbo because there would be marks on my wheels and housings and that it would be more of a grinding sound that would come and go every few weeks as the bearings progressively get worse which is definitely not the siren sound we have so I put it back together and had my dad watch to make sure the turbo and up pipes met up correctly and the v-band went on easily and now the sound is much quieter than before. The whole reason I rebuilt my turbo was because I hear the same sound months before and it was very faint then one day I had a large loss of power and the sound was a bit more noticeable. I believe I was a leak that was beginning to open up. when I was removing the turbo for the rebuild I had trouble getting the exhaust housing and up pipe disconnected so I think while pulling on the up pipes I made the leak worse because now the sound is loud but not as loud as it was when the turbo and up pipes weren't properly connected. I also have pinpointed the noise to at the back of the engine and it is rpm and boost related I'm not 100% sure it is this though but I am 100% sure it isn't the turbo or it's bearings. I think the reason it is fixed when people replace their turbos is because there was a bad connection between the turbo and up pipes and when the turbo is replaced it doesn't leak anymore. I will try and report back if I figure it out. (ps I apologize if this was already answered I was crunched for time and saw this post was fairly recent and wanted to help)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry I've gone back and read a bit more and I think that this sound can be caused by and exhaust leak before the turbo or a chewed up exhaust wheel or the sounds are very similar I am going to get up pipe gaskets to see if that helps I would suggest to anyone with this sound to check and see if there is excessive shaft play and if not look at your up pipes for soot spots that would indicate a possible leak starting

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry I've gone back and read a bit more and I think that this sound can be caused by and exhaust leak before the turbo or a chewed up exhaust wheel or the sounds are very similar I am going to get up pipe gaskets to see if that helps I would suggest to anyone with this sound to check and see if there is excessive shaft play and if not look at your up pipes for soot spots that would indicate a possible leak starting
Anthony and more update? Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just saw this thread. Has anyone come up with anything?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just fixed mine. Same symptoms as everyone in this thread. I made a boost pressurizer out of an old paint gun reservoir and used soapy water to find boost leak in the plenum boot. Found a huge leak. Replaced with RiffRaff Diesel boots and metal plenum inserts with new clamps. MPGs back to normal, power restored, no noise.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts