The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
04 PSD - doing a bulletproof EGR and Ford oil cooler install. I read on another thread awhile back about the importance of cleaning the IPR screen. Is the screen under the sensor? If not, where is it? Looks like the sensor on my engine is on the very back behind the turbo. Easy job, or a nosebleed to do? Any special tools needed? THANKS!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
i believe the talk is usually about making sure the valley of the oil cooler is extremely clean before you put the large filter screen back in... if it isn't, anything in that valley will end up clogging the IPR.

when I did my oil cooler rebuild, I was concerned about the ipr being clogged after I re-assembled, so I bought the ipr socket that apparently allows you to remove the ipr by only removing i think the degas bottle and FICM...but I could be wrong, I've never had to use it....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
04 PSD - doing a bulletproof EGR and Ford oil cooler install. I read on another thread awhile back about the importance of cleaning the IPR screen. Is the screen under the sensor? If not, where is it? Looks like the sensor on my engine is on the very back behind the turbo. Easy job, or a nosebleed to do? Any special tools needed? THANKS!!
Thoughts on this: cleanliness is crucial. Cleaning off the sand and dirt from the top of the engine before removing the cooler assembly is important. cleaning out the reservoir is important and not allowing debris to enter the HPOP feed is the goal here. What happens when debris does get by it can clog up the screen on the tip of the IPR, cracking and sometimes pushing it off by causing oil pressure to get behind the seals. In that case it needs to be accessed as mentioned and replaced. The screen and o-rings are available separately. Of a piece of the screen breaks off it can become lodged in the IPR and usually may be removed. I have done this several times over the years after someone has done their own cooler. Also, stay away from Dorman coolers. The gaskets are known to swell and fail.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The screen snaps on the end of the IPR. You have to remove the IPR to access it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts