The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It recently snowed where I live and I locked my hubs in and there's a pretty severe vibration when the hubs are locked and its in 2HI. I don't believe there's a vibration in 4HI, I could test it again but there's no snow on the ground anymore. I wiggled my front driveshaft and the U-joint must be shot, it moves a considerable amount. I also notice a vibration when I'm coasting with the go pedal slightly depressed (10-30% depressed) and the hubs unlocked. Does anyone know what this would be? I think I also need new differential clutches because I only have 1 wheel spinning on a LS diff. Thanks,
Josh.

·
Super Moderator
25,015 Posts
If your front driveshaft u-joints are shot, there's a good chance the rear u-joints are too.
There's more stress on all the u-joints when you're in 4wd from the windup of the drivetrain, but that could actually reduce the vibration.
I would check all the u-joints and see if that fixes it. Front axle u-joints are a possibility as well.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Did you change you rear diff fluid lately? Lots of the synthetic fluids say you do not need a friction modifier but they lie. A 4 oz bottle of Amsoil or the Dodge stuff usually works good. You can also get it to lock up if you depress the Emergency brake, once locked up release the brake it will stay locked.
DENNY

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I changed it about a month ago and got the gear oil and 4oz of additive from the stealership (way too overpriced). It could be a possibility that the front diff needs fluid as well. Are the u joints difficult to do?

·
Super Moderator
25,015 Posts
Are the u joints difficult to do?
Not easy, but do-able if you have a shop press. Mine were in there really tight and let go with a bang! A standard ball joint press works great on driveshaft u-joints, but the front axle joints are too big to fit inside the press. You could use the socket and hammer method, but that's kind of a neanderthal way to do u-joints.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
Not easy, but do-able if you have a shop press. Mine were in there really tight and let go with a bang! A standard ball joint press works great on driveshaft u-joints, but the front axle joints are too big to fit inside the press. You could use the socket and hammer method, but that's kind of a neanderthal way to do u-joints.

That's the way that I was shown to do it back before a normal person had a press.

The last time I did one I used a bench vice and a couple of sockets.

·
Super Moderator
25,015 Posts
I have to admit to using the socket and hammer method in the past. But then I bought a ball joint press and use it. Much easier than either and socket and hammer or socket and vice. And easier on the sockets too.
There are times when one has to get out the BFH and resort to percussive maintenance. :winking:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts