The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're worried about someone siphoning off your DEF? Wow...where do you live??
ROFLMAO. No, but here's 3 reasons to get one:

1. Someone accidentally adds fuel to your DEF or vice-versa
  2. Someone deliberately adds fuel to your DEF or vice-versa
  3. Someone adds unknown substances to your DEF
It's not about what someone takes out, it's about what someone puts in your DEF tank. Same as a gas tank, really, though theft is another issue there.

· Registered
1,289 Posts
ROFLMAO. No, but here's 3 reasons to get one:

1. Someone accidentally adds fuel to your DEF or vice-versa
  2. Someone deliberately adds fuel to your DEF or vice-versa
  3. Someone adds unknown substances to your DEF
It's not about what someone takes out, it's about what someone puts in your DEF tank. Same as a gas tank, really, though theft is another issue there.
X2
I'm not the only family member that uses my truck, not that any of them would know how to put fuel in it, but there is still the risk LOL.

· Registered
17,585 Posts
Now THAT would be hilarious!!:lol::lol:
Some whacked chemist will discover how to make a designer drug out of DEF, and those methheads will quit stealing cat convertors and start siphoning your DEF.

Takes lots less energy to siphon than cut the exhaust pipes, specially if its a lowered ricer LOL!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
15 Posts
Stant DEF and Fuel locking caps

I emailed Stant and asked about this issue. I want a matching key DEF and Fuel cap set.
Their response was one sentance... "We're working on it".
Well that was about 6 months ago. How hard could it be, with all the resources of a big company? I don't think their interested or we would see them for sale by now.

· Registered
206 Posts
Some whacked chemist will discover how to make a designer drug out of DEF, and those methheads will quit stealing cat convertors and start siphoning your DEF.
Great, then Walmart will start putting it behind the pharmacy counter with the Sudafed.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They should make a cap that when opened it blocks the fuel fill. Might keep people from putting def in the fuel tank. Then again it probably wont.
That would work to prevent accidents, but wouldn't prevent intentional damage.

And, the locking gas door won't prevent accidents but will prevent intentional damage.

Individual locks for each fill valve will be best solution.

· Registered
93 Posts
I waited awhile but finally emailed Stant. I think its a good idea.

· Registered
2 Posts
Help - is there a locking DEF cap?

I think I have just been sabotaged,. I use my 2012 F350 Lariat crew cab diesel to pull a horse trailer and one activity is fox hunting. One night~150 miles ago it was parked on the roadside on the edge of a horse farm - other than that it is inside a gated property. Last weekm I had my DEF pump fail, replaced and then fail again 10 miles later - Ford replaced the whole system and it does smell like petroleum in the system. Ford is investigating but has no explanation than contamination. I am the only one filling and driving the rig - I know what the DEF intake is for.
PETA people and anti-hunting ( this is a drag hunt where we follow a man laid down sent) activists do exist in the area.
I absolutely need to lock the fuel and DEF intake - either the fuel door or the individual caps. Is there a product out there?

· Registered
49 Posts
I had a email conversation with an engineer at Stant. They are interested. They are working on it. The problem is that the DEF cap is small enough that the typical locking cap method won't work. If you have an idea, or better yet a prototype, I'm sure they would like to hear from you. Until then all we have is the locking door option.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.