The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
I sent letter to stant a month ago asking for a matching key set of locking caps (diesel and def). The response said the def was too small. Did not indicate one was anywhere in development or even being considered at this point.

· Registered
20 Posts
Since it doesn't look like there is going to be a locking DEF cap any time soon, does anyone have a recommendation on locks for the fuel door? I like the look of the painted factory door over the aftermarket aluminum doors, so I would prefer to install some form of lock on the existing door if possible.

· Registered
49 Posts
Check out "Locking fuel caps/doors - cheap solutions " on this site. There was another thread about using a power door lock actuator to lock the fuel door, hmmm.

· Registered
3 Posts
Response from my email :

"The locking cap for your fuel tank is 10510 or 10510D if you want a green cap to help prevent accidental use of gasoline.

We do not have a locking DEF cap because the size of the cap is too small for any locking mechanism. We are looking for alternative locking designs but have not found one yet"

· Registered
230 Posts
Since it doesn't look like there is going to be a locking DEF cap any time soon, does anyone have a recommendation on locks for the fuel door? I like the look of the painted factory door over the aftermarket aluminum doors, so I would prefer to install some form of lock on the existing door if possible.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f151/locking-fuel-caps-doors-cheap-solutions-300516/

I tried the locking fuel cap. I found it awkward to put in the key (attached to my key ring with other keys) and keep it turned while also turning the cap. Also, there was no way to use the factory lanyard to keep the cap handy or from falling on the ground. I used a cam lock like the one pictured. I went with a weather resistant lock to help keep out grit and grime. Looks almost factory at only $8 + shipping from www.mcmaster.com. You could also check out www.camlock.com. The hard part was getting up the willpower to drill a hole in my new paint. If you are worried about cross contamination you could always use both the locking fuel cap and installed cam lock on the door.

· Registered
180 Posts
I wish I had the locking DEF cap option earlier... Someone contaminated my DEF.. Here's a sample of what was in the tank...

· Registered
1,784 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Locking fuel door

It was intentional contamination of my def tank. I later discovered they also unsuccessfully tried to jimmy a lock on my trailer. A chrome locking fuel door installed by dealer works. It looks great on my white f350. Only problem is that the teather to the gas cap cannot be used- just have to be careful.
What retards who find it fun to damage other people's property

· Registered
52 Posts
Has anyone tried a cable release latch, kinda like a hood release? Will have to wait for my 2015 to see if it is practical.
TM

· Registered
180 Posts
Update

I wish I had the locking DEF cap option earlier... Someone contaminated my DEF.. Here's a sample of what was in the tank...

Got a call from my insurance adjuster this morning. She went by the dealer and looked at the gunk. She wrote them a check, minus the deductible. I should have my truck back by Wednesday!

· Registered
1,784 Posts
I had talk to Fuel Defend a couple months ago. The guy told me they are hoping to have them by February or March. They already make them for the Ford Heavy Duty trucks.
Talked to Mike @ Fuel Defend on the phone Thursday and he stated it would be up to 6 more months before a cap would be on the market.

· Registered
412 Posts
I have to admit, I finally went the cheap route. While I figured chances of getting random contamination by evil human was pretty low odds, I also figured spending $12 either as a deterrent or red flag was worth the investment.

I chose a cylinder style key set up just to be different. Amazon for $12. An hour of time, would have been less if I had all my tools organized.

Now I have a key lock on my aux fuel tank, diesel fuel fill, the diesel/def door, tool box. All different look and size key heads, but I think I will color code them in the future. And no I don't carry them all on my key ring, they are on a separate key ring I keep in the console.

· Registered
45 Posts
See below for the Stant response to my DEF cap question. This sounds hopeful.

We are currently working on getting these on the shelves. They are being produced but they have not been quoted and priced to the stores to sell. It is a work in progress but we are getting there. Sorry for the delay but if you check back with us periodically we should be able to give you an update.

Sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

Best Regards,

Michael Buckles
Tech Line Techincian

21 - 40 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.