The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 94 PSD running. It is having a hard time starting though. I wait for the WTS light to go out and start cranking. It will crank for about 20-30 seconds before is starts to fire. Kinda like it is not getting any fuel. Once it starts, it runs great. If I run it for a bit, shut it off, try to restart in just a couple of minutes it still has that same long cranking time.
Anybody have any ides and where to check??

·
Registered
508 Posts
Could be bad glow plug relay. Bad glow plugs. Bad injector O-rings.
Good luck

Midwestman

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will try the running hard for 30 minutes and see if that does the trick. If not, then I will have to do some digging.

I tell you, this has been an experience working on these 7.3's. I have learned so much from this forum, I can almost be a diesel mechanic.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the same problem with my 6.9L. You can try this, it has seemed to work for me. Turn on the truck and wait for the light to go out, turn off the truck and wait for 30 seconds. Turn the truck back on and wait for the light to go out and try starting the truck. The chamber may not be getting hot enough to start on the first try. If this works, it probably means either the glow plugs or relay may be going bad. Good luck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think it is the glow plugs.... Sure, they probably need checked and changed as well as the relay. When I am cranking it over, I can't hear the injectors clicking until after 15-20 seconds, then it fires right up. I am leaning towards the oil scenario just for the fact that I can't hear the injectors during the initial 5 seconds or so.
Thanks for the input and i am surely going to change the GPs and the GPR. I just picked up the truck a few weeks ago and finally got it running yesterday. I'll fart around with it again today some. It doesn't have to be on the road for about 6 months or so cuz it is my 15yo son's truck. We are going to do this one up right. Plus I have to make sure he is there when I do anything to it, so he will learn as much as possible about his truck.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I was told

I have the same problem with my 6.9L. You can try this, it has seemed to work for me. Turn on the truck and wait for the light to go out, turn off the truck and wait for 30 seconds. Turn the truck back on and wait for the light to go out and try starting the truck. The chamber may not be getting hot enough to start on the first try. If this works, it probably means either the glow plugs or relay may be going bad. Good luck.
I was told that the glow plugs cycle for 2 mins... the "light" going off was just to remind people to wait a bit.. the reason for the 2 min cycle was that even when you start you still need the extra heat to keep the system going till it builds up heat... I know when this happened to me it ended up being only 3 or 8 glow plugs working :nono:. Make sure if you do it yourself that you use motocraft glow plugs and remember the wiring for the glow plugs runs in with the gasket for the oil cover gasket... and my problem ended up being one of the plugs that had gone bad had so much build up that they could not get it out... :sick: ended up having to pull the head to get it done... now I might have questioned that except the mech. is a friend and he even went in on his day off to work on it for me ... :thumbsup:

It is really nice to know that you can trust your mechanic ...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, the glow plugs do stay on for about 2 mins. While I was troubleshooting my no start issue, I would wait until after they clicked off before I would start cranking so I wouldn't tax the batteries.
I did use motorcraft glow plugs when I replaced them on my oldest's 95. It wasn't that bad (other than a couple of hard to get to valve cover bolts).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts