The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an F350 Dually Crew Cab Long Bed that I am planning to customize. It's paid for, it sits in the garage, and I hardly ever drive it.

Here's what I want to do, first lower it 3-4 inches, second, performance brakes, slotted and/or cross drilled, new calipers, etc. Probably cap it, and a body kit, but still want to maintain the towing capability for my horse trailer, so the spring rates need to be the same or better(possibly air bag it).

Here's what my problem is, where the heck to find the parts to do it? I want to start putting together a budget for it, to know what I need to save up, and time frames needed and any work that needs to be done that isn't bolt on ready. I also want to fix the rusting oil pan without pulling the motor if possible, maybe POR15?

Lastly, has anyone replaced their dual wheels in the back with a wide rim/tire like those on some OTR trucks? If not, then are there wheel caps other than stock to cover up the lugs?

I may replace the door handles with Polished Aluminum ones, or go crazy and just shave the doors. Right now the truck is Tourmaline in color, and I am thinking that I don't want to change the color, but enhance it, get rid of the lower Prairie Tan paint, and go with a color very close to Tourmaline, but with a bit of Chromaline mixed in to deepen the blue/green angles. If you dont know, Tourmaline tends to look green under one light, and blue under another, with shades of blue/green at an angle. This I plan to keep but make it stand out a bit more, and plan on a graphic of some sort, maybe some ghost flames coming from the front, or a flare that comes off the front wheels and rides up the door to the ridge below the windows that runs all the way back to the tailgate, in a pearl over the Tourmaline base. Ambitious, I know, but I have access to a paint booth. :)

Reason I want to lower is I really don't need it as high up as it is, my garage door is 8' tall and the truck barely clears it, and the topper I want to put on will not clear the door as it sits now. It's 4x4, but I don't take it off road, only use it in snow, so lowering it wont be a problem for my use.

I am also thinking of some hood scoops on the side of the hood where the airbox is located and another one on the opposite side, and make them functional with a duct to run from one to the other and exit at the filter for fresh air intake. I have an AEM filter kit installed already. My other project will be getting the trans rebuilt, maybe attack that myself if I can find all the hard parts that need to be upgraded, unless Brian is still in business and I can afford it. :ford:

·
Registered
763 Posts
As long as theres metal left, POR15 is a good solution to the oil pan.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Pics???

·
Registered
723 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As long as theres metal left, POR15 is a good solution to the oil pan.

That may be my first project! There is metal left, at least right now there it, and I HOPE it wont rust anymore while in the garage.

I found a pic of one to get some idea what I am looking for, just not with the massive wheels.

My father in law has a car just like the one in the back, but in blue.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't care much for the wheels though, the thin tires are scary, that much weight on thin sidewalls on rough roads spells disaster in the making. I want to keep stock tire size, maybe change out the rims if I cant restore the factory ones finish. I dont care too much for the huge gap between the tire and fenders.

OTOH I don't want the tires up inside the wheel wells or the body sitting on the ground. The one I posted above it just about right, so if I can find a kit that will give me that height, that's what I am looking for.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Check my photos lowerd 2 in the front 5 in the rear. ride is very good , also did rancho adj shocks .

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice, what did you use to lower it with? Mine is 4x4 though, so that might make it tricky.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Springs in the ft and shakles and hangers in the rear but it's 2wd , not sure how to lower a 4wd .

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
ACD2, as an aside, if your garage door is the standard residential garage door, have you checked into getting a 12 inch radius rail instead of the standard 18 inch radius? I put them on my lake house garage to get maximum height for the garage door because of the back rail on the pontoon boat, and the garage door is up, out of the way, and I have my full 9 feet header height (garage has 10 foot walls).
Just a thought, if you're lowering the truck because of the garage door height.
The rest of the project sounds pretty awesome (although I'm not a big fan of lowering trucks. I've seen a 1/2 ton cheby around here that was lowered so low that there are certain railroad tracks that the owner can't cross).

short_stuff

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, ran across this old thread of mine. The plans I had went to crap because of me being too stupid to wash the truck after driving in in a snow storm. It sat in the garage with salt spray covering the entire truck. Spring rolled around, warm moist air, cold metal, cold concrete floor, and me not paying attention. The entire chassis rusted to the point it would cost $4-$5,000 just to get it road worthy, and that did not cover the cost of replacing the transmission either.

Now when I look at MY of that truck and see them selling for crazy outrageous prices, I wish I had kept it and rebuilt it!

So for those of you with these early 7.3 powerstrokes, take care of them, they are hard to get and are double in price what mine sold for back in 2012.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts