The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I'm looking at a diesel but, I think I might try and go with a gasser. I like the size of the F250s but, I don't NEED a diesel.

I'm looking at some used gasses but, how many miles is too many on these 6.2's? I know diesel can see 100K and you wouldn't think twice. How about gas?

What do you guys have on your gassers with the 6.2L? Would I still get 4-5 years before anything major needs repair if I get one with 75K miles?

Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
14,442 Posts
If you want a new truck, the days of the million mile diesel is over. You'll be better off with the 6.2 for longevity and price of engine work when it does become necessary. If you're willing to buy a 7.3 or bulletproof a 6.0, the diesel might be the way to go.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The company I now work for used diesels up until 2011 but the maintenance and repair cost were too high. They switched to gas trucks in 2013. They retire them at 300K miles. We put around 100K miles a year on them. And they switched from Fords to Chevys because the regional manager doesn't like Fords.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the responses. I know diesel sounds appealing but, I like the idea of having less maintainance. From what I've heard, diesels are not tough to use as daily drivers because of the emissions stuff. I thought about the 6.0 but I like the modern tech in the 2008 and up.

I just don't know if it's safe to get a used gasser at 75K. I don't know what major mile marks are ones that need big repairs with gassers.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Have no worries. I got 165K on my 2011 and have had no issues. Just ordered a new 2016 because I don't like the 17 body style, but was planning on keeping it to 200K miles plus.
If you don't need a diesel- don't get one. The gas will run just as long with less expensive fuel and less expensive maintenance.
I have averaged 14.5 MPG consistently since I bought it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just make sure that you inspect the hell out of the truck before you buy it. Just because one gas owner says his has close to 200k miles on it, doesn't necessarily mean that yours will last that long. If you're buying used, you might not have any idea how the previous owner treated it (or abused it for that matter). Close looks at the engine and clear Car Fox should help you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I routinely run my gas pick-ups to 200K, and hope to keep my Chevy past that. The new gas engine trucks routinely hit 300K, Chevy, Ford and Dodge. I wouldn't worry about that. Up here in the NE, they rot out before they wear out.

With that said, used truck prices are insanely high. I can sell my 2012 Chevy for nearly what I paid for it. And with current interest rates as low as they are, if you have to finance, its sometimes better to go new instead. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just ordered a new 2016 because I don't like the 17 body style, but was planning on keeping it to 200K miles plus.
I agree was gonna keep my 13 F-250 as well,but don't like the 17 body style. Ordered my 2016 F-350 for the same reason.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The 6.2L seems to be a very good motor. There are a lot of them out there with high miles still running strong. I wouldn't be concerned at all about 75,000 miles on a maintained 6.2L.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just check out all the problems on the different forums that the 6.7s have. I had a '13. Turbo issues from day one that shop couldn't fix. A few other nagging issues too. Nothing nearly as major as some guys have with their 6.7 like fuel pumps, regen problems, etc. I have a '15 and a '16 6.2. No issues whatsoever. The 6.2 gas forums go weeks or months without a problem post. Diesel forums get problem traffic by the minute. I prefer gas for what I use trucks for but realize some jobs require a diesel. The do just have more issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts