The Diesel Stop banner

Looking at a 92

999 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Mike Lewis 
#1 ·
So I'm looking at a 92 f250 NA 7.3 manual 226K, the owner (a guy I know through Church) just had the engine and trans rebuilt about 10k ago, he is asking 5200, fair? My only problem is that it isn't a 4x4. I can hear you all saying move on find a 4x4 instead, but to those who have done it how hard is it really to take a 4x2 to 4x4? cost? etc. The truck itself is just in such good shape its hard to pass up. Thanks

#2 ·
My first question would be how was the engine rebuilt..just honed out and new rings or sleeved cylinders........remember cavitation.

My second question would be can you live with the 2x4 for a year, keep looking for a 4x4 while you drive the 2x4........

#3 ·
I did the 4X4 conversion here is a price list.
Front diff 900$ Dana 50 TTB with locker locker was 500$ and the diff 400$=900
Springs hangers factory rear blocks 250$ You will have to modify the front of the frame. (notch and weld in channel iron)front spring mount
Transmision 5 speed manual, I converted it to 4X4:(all new parts)
housing: 75$
Output shaft 150$
Bearings and seals 40$
Rotors for dualy conversion 150$
drive shafts 150$
Transfer case 100$ plus rebuild kit 135$ BW1356=235$
Tranfercase linkage 50$=Pain in the ass to find
Misc. shop supplys, oils, and beer 100$

Most of my parts are out of a salvage yard, and just about everything was busted and I rebuilt it to save money. In the end I only did it because I wanted a dually 4X4, and I already had the dually. It is pricey and takes a hellava lot of work. Espessialy like me working by myself. My truck is a 1994 turbo diesel. with a haulin ass IDI motor Thanks to KEN at DPS. Anyway hope this helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

#5 ·
First off Ken did not build by engine, rather upgraded existing componets. Like the turbo, IJ pump, Ceramic coating, and head studs, big intercooler. T&P machinery San antonio Tx. did my machinery, and Im not gonna go into what all was done, but I assembled the thing and it hauls. To put it into perspective I own a FACTORY 1998 mustang gt and the truck will run right with it up until about 85mph or so. Oh yeah if I ever manage to get in front I dont see how anyone could see were there going, black smoke gallor! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#6 ·
Thanks for sharing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif I didn't realize there was a nondisclosure agreement here... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Really, I'm not trying to be an (censored three-letter word). If you don't want to give details that's your business, but most of us IDI owners here share such info in the interest of helping other IDI owners out.

To put it in perspective, I'm looking at new trucks ($40,000 a copy). I'd rather spend less $$ on my truck to get the type of performance you describe than pay $40,000+ over 6-7 years for a new truck. Particularly if that performance will allow me to tow 10,000 pounds without overheating or running into EGT problems... or toasting my $4000 BTS transmission.

The '98 Mustang GT is reasonably fast even by today's standards, but to get that performance out of a pickup is quite an accomplishment.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.