The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I'm looking at purchasing my first diesel. I found a 1996 7.3 powerstroke with 214,000 miles on it. He claims the transmission is rebuilt, but what are other common problems to look out for with these motors? I also heard to look for fuel in the coolant. I didn't see any when I looked in there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Hmmm Never ever heard of fuel being in the coolant. I could see with a cracked head or cracked injector cup how it could happen. But the typical problems are to look for engine oil in the fuel (bad injector o-rings), or coolant in the oil (leaky o-rings in the oil cooler, bad head gasket, or possibly cracked head again).

The Old Body Style 7.3's are a really durable engine. Seems like electrical gremlins catch up with them eventually since there's so much electronics on them. Have to know more about the truck in question to be more specific, but it's not unusual for the OBS 7.3's to run reliably for 300,000-500,000 miles depending on how they're maintained and used/abused.

·
Premium Member
14,810 Posts
Fuel in coolant is the symptom of a cracked injector cup.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay. I checked the oil and didnt see or smell any abnormalities. How could you tell if there's oil in the fuel? Would it burn the oil and be puffing smoke out the exhaust?

Thanks for the help! And I will be sure to check out that link.

·
Premium Member
14,810 Posts
Sometimes, if there is a great enough quantitiy of oil you will see some smoke. There are a lot of people that burn waste motor oil as fuel with minimal smoking. On the 99-03 models, you can tell because oil will back up into the filter and stain it. I'm not 100% sure that applies to the 94-97 models.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts