The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my old neighbor across the street has a 1989 F350 with the 7.3 that he said he'd give us for $1000. It has a remanufactured engine in it and he says there was only around 50k miles put on since it was installed. The Banks Sidewinder turbo kit was installed shortly after the reman engine was, from what I'm told. He says it needs new gas tanks and some other odds and ends.

Anyway, this truck has been sitting for years. I'd guess at least 5-6. What things need to be done and/or definitely changed before we try to start this beast up? Anything else specific that I should check out? I'd say I'm definitely above average as far as a back yard mechanic goes, but diesel is a whole new world to me.

This deal just came about yesterday, so I have a lot of research to do, but I was hoping I could get some good base line info from you guys :smile2:

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Welcome to the Diesel Stop.

I would change the oil and filter, watching the oil being drained for any moisture, or metal.

After that, pull the fuel filter and look at the fuel after pouring it into a clean clear container. If it looks good (clear) put a new filter on after filling it with fresh fuel. Make sure BOTH batteries are fully charged and away you go.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
This deal just came about yesterday, so I have a lot of research to do, but I was hoping I could get some good base line info from you guys
Like any vehicle, that's impossible to say over the net. Usually overall physical condition is a hint as to how the truck was maintained. There's been guys here that after they broke down on the way home and had it towed, found it needed everything between both bumpers, U-joints, brakes, noisy differential, countless electrical problems and on and on. Every body panel dented and a different color is usually a clue. Other guys have found an oldie but goodie that got regular care all through the years. Being your neighbor is a help, if you think he previously maintained it well, I'd do like Chuckster said and go from there. Hope it works out. A few things well-meaning guys DO neglect is changing trans and differential fluid (manual says every 60-80 thousand) U-joints, and packing front wheel bearings. The original U-joints do not have zerk fittings so since they can't be greased, they only last for 80,000+/-.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
You might even consider putting some of the anti-algi stuff (can't think of the name of it) in each tank since it has been sitting for a while. Might even keep a couple extra fuel filters for a while just in case you do start cleaning algi from the tanks.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
He says it needs new gas tanks and some other odds and ends.
I would ask why it needs new tanks. Might just drop them, clean them out, check to see if the pickup screen has fallen off or disintegrated. The pickup screen is all the same from 83 to 2016.
Powerstroke Diesel Fuel Tank Pick Up Screen Genuine Ford F250 F350 F450 F550 | eBay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts