The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm a new member of the forums but not to diesels all together. I used to have a 97 dodge cummins with a 5 speed and loved it except for all the dodge related problems. I sold it a few months ago and decided its time for another truck.

I'm currently looking at a 2001 f250 platinum edition. It has 191,000 miles on it and is an auto. The truck has stage 1 injectors, a 6 position beans performance chip, and possible a built tranny?

The current owner bought the truck around 170,000 miles ago with the chip on it. He then added the injectors.

I drove the truck and it drives good except the tranny shifts way harder then I think it should when the tc looks up and when it shifts in to 4th. It's hard to explain but if you are accelerating easy, it will go through 1st and 2nd normal then it like shifts to 3rd with a huge jerk and then you feel what I think is the tc locking up and another huge jerk in the seat. If you get on it hard it shifts fine and totally smooth. I don't know for sure if it's 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th or the torque converter but there are 2 huge jerks when you are going through the gears unless you are really getting on it.

The owner doesn't know if the truck had a shift kit put on or something. I looked the tranny case over for a rebuild badge and didn't see one. He says it's done this the whole time he's owned it. He has a tranny temp gauge and says it never gets above 200* and it didn't when I was driving it. Fluid looked fine and was full. The only other thing was that it seemed to take like 2 seconds to go into reverse and drive. No od light blinking and it functioned correctly.

Should I be worried about this? Ive never had an auto before and don't think I really want one but its all I can find around here that I can afford.

I need a truck to reliably get me from Iowa to Wyoming for school, I leave in 2 weeks.

Thanks for your help,

Derrick

·
Registered
499 Posts
Modificaitons to the valve body can certainly make an automatic shift hard. I put a shift kit in a F-150 I used to have and it was very noticeable when the transmission shifted. It wasn't a huge jerk, but the kit was designed for towing. Whenever I had a trailer behind me, the shifts felt a lot smoother.

The torque converter locks up in 3rd gear before the 3-4 shift. The drop in RPM on the tachometer tells you when it happens. In my truck, it's not a rough event at all, but my transmission is the original one that Ford put in it, and it's got no modifications at all.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My '99 does the same thing. Noticed it after I added the DP tuner. A few months later I added a BTS tranny and noticed that all of the shifts were more firm. When towing the firm shifts are not as noticeable, and the TC lockup is delayed after the shift to 4th. Based on the mods you’ve described it doesn’t sound like a problem to me. I’m not familiar with the gauges that come factory equipped on that model. Does the truck have aftermarket gauges installed? Given the mods, I’d expect to see at a minimum a trans temp and exhaust gas temp. These two gauges are important to monitor the operation of the engine/trans especially when towing. The 4R100 tranny has a history of failure under heavy towing if not cooled adequately. Most modified 4R100’s will have the 6.0 trans cooler installed. Trans temp is the greatest killer of the 4R100, and with the addition of the 6.0 cooler trans over-temp is eliminated. Assuming it has a 6.0 cooler, I’d be surprised if the trans temp ever gets above 200 towing. Since the addition of my BTS (with 6.0 cooler), when towing I’ve seen the trans temp as high as ~210 at 23,000 GCVW pulling an 8% grade on a 95 degree day.

I too have noticed a delay when shifting between D and R, and have not had any problems in the ~200K miles that I’ve put on my truck (70K on the BTS).

If the owner bought the truck with the chip already installed, and then added the injectors, where did they get them? Ask the owner if they installed single shot or split shot stage 1’s. If they installed single shot stage 1’s it would require new programming since the stock injectors are split shots. As a point of reference you should ask the owner where they got the injectors and if they updated the tunes after installing the new injectors.

Just out of curiosity, are you heading to Laramie?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My '99 does the same thing. Noticed it after I added the DP tuner. A few months later I added a BTS tranny and noticed that all of the shifts were more firm. When towing the firm shifts are not as noticeable, and the TC lockup is delayed after the shift to 4th. Based on the mods you’ve described it doesn’t sound like a problem to me. I’m not familiar with the gauges that come factory equipped on that model. Does the truck have aftermarket gauges installed? Given the mods, I’d expect to see at a minimum a trans temp and exhaust gas temp. These two gauges are important to monitor the operation of the engine/trans especially when towing. The 4R100 tranny has a history of failure under heavy towing if not cooled adequately. Most modified 4R100’s will have the 6.0 trans cooler installed. Trans temp is the greatest killer of the 4R100, and with the addition of the 6.0 cooler trans over-temp is eliminated. Assuming it has a 6.0 cooler, I’d be surprised if the trans temp ever gets above 200 towing. Since the addition of my BTS (with 6.0 cooler), when towing I’ve seen the trans temp as high as ~210 at 23,000 GCVW pulling an 8% grade on a 95 degree day.

I too have noticed a delay when shifting between D and R, and have not had any problems in the ~200K miles that I’ve put on my truck (70K on the BTS).

If the owner bought the truck with the chip already installed, and then added the injectors, where did they get them? Ask the owner if they installed single shot or split shot stage 1’s. If they installed single shot stage 1’s it would require new programming since the stock injectors are split shots. As a point of reference you should ask the owner where they got the injectors and if they updated the tunes after installing the new injectors.

Just out of curiosity, are you heading to Laramie?

The truck does have a boost, pyro, and trans temp gauge on the a pillar. I'm going to look at the truck again in a few minutes so I'll ask about the injectors. What happens if he got single shot injectors and didn't retune the truck? It has a ton of power and runs great.

And yup, Laramie is my destination.

Derrick

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm pretty sure that truck came with code 'AD' injectors from the factory. They are split shots. If the owner put single shots in they should have updated their tune. I don't know what kind of problems that would cause, other than the computer delivering either too much or not enough fuel. It really boils down to having an optimized tune for the setup. If they got the injectors from Beans, then I assume they communicated the fact about the programmer. If it were me I'd ask where the injectors came from, and if they discussed the programmer, and who did the work. If the owner DIY'd the injectors they should be able to answer. If not, and they went to a reputable shop it shouldn’t be a problem. Just ask and see what they say.

Wyo Tech, or UW?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
well id be wary of the transmission.with the mileage and the hard shifting it may be on its last leg.i have rebuilt my valve body but i have firmer shifts through all the gears,not just 3-4.id check the fluid color(should be reddish pink).id also check any records of service on the tranny.if its never been serviced with 200k id run,if the fluids not pink and clean id run.these trannys can go well over 200k but must be maintained properly.

unless you have 2-3k for a rebuilt tranny.....USE COMMON SENSE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well id be wary of the transmission.with the mileage and the hard shifting it may be on its last leg.i have rebuilt my valve body but i have firmer shifts through all the gears,not just 3-4.id check the fluid color(should be reddish pink).id also check any records of service on the tranny.if its never been serviced with 200k id run,if the fluids not pink and clean id run.these trannys can go well over 200k but must be maintained properly.

unless you have 2-3k for a rebuilt tranny.....USE COMMON SENSE
Alright well I drove it for a good while today. It seemed to shift slow and smooth when the tranny was cold or when I was very easy on the gas. When I got on it at all it shifted from 1st to 2nd fine, 2nd to 3rd fine, TC lock was jerky, and 4th was jerky. Both felt like someone in a manual was slowly letting the clutch out then just dumping it.

I may not be against putting a tranny in this truck, it is in good shape otherwise. I just don't wanna have to do it right away. The fluid was full and looked reddish pink. Didn't smell burnt or anything. Tranny temp stayed between 130 and 145 with 75 degree ambiant temp.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I concur the Ford Platform is a better truck than the Dodge, I have owned a 97 Dodge as well - the front end on the dodge is problematic, however the ford may need ball joints and possibly hubs by now. If you can do the work - not too salty, but parts you are looking in the 800 region for both, if installed then bump it to 1500. The trans on the Ford is not the strong link, you may have the mechanical diode version as it is an 01, you can do a search on this forum to find more info.

Other issues with the ford at 191 may be turbo [easy to check, again there are stickys that will give instructions to check]. Water pumps tend to be needed, not sure where you are located, if in salt areas, check the oil pan and rear diff pan as these can be rusted. The rear diff is no big deal, however the oil pan replacement is a motor pull to fix. Again search this forum as there are methods to fix the oil pan without motor pull.

My 01 with 150K runs and drives great, I just replaced the auto hubs with warns as they factory hubs are not the best. Other items to consider are in various check your truck out stickys located on this forum.

Good Luck
Coolhand

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2001 f250 platinum with 200,000 miles on it and I notesed the same problem with it jerking on fourth gear about 150,000. I have found that it is not a problem when towing or just driving to work every day but when Itook my truck out to race is when I would get the jerking. My rpm were about 3,000 and it would not stop jerking out o gear untell Iwas under 2000 rpm. So ur truck should be fine as long as you let off the gas about 45 and then let your trobo down spool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts