The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate messing with fuse boxes. I used the hot wire from throttle position switch. Only thing is I'm not sure if it's a full 12v.

Anyone know? I don't have time to crawl under the truck and check.

What's a good source to use?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
498 Posts
On my truck I went with the red wire with the dark blue stripe. If you pull your Knee bolster and find the Ignition switch near the top of the opening where the colum meets the dash. There is a harness rapped in tape. Split the tape and find the two red wires with the dark blue stripe, A 10 gauge and a 8 gauge. Pick one, they are your switched 12 V. The Two Yellow wires are your 12V constant. If you attach a tap wire to these two you can always pull power from them.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh that's great...thank you!

Steve

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
The pedal is generally a clean place to source 12v for the brake. You can always use a multi-meter to verify.

·
Super Moderator
25,183 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The pedal is generally a clean place to source 12v for the brake. You can always use a multi-meter to verify.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. If you were to overload the circuit, you'd lose power to the pedal and drop to idle. I would avoid getting power from any engine control function. Good wiring practice says to fuse immediately after a tap point, but even that's no guarantee that your tap fuse will go first.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Isn't there a fuse hole for switched 12v in the under dash fuse box???????

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
our unit won't draw enough to make that happen and has polarity protection in it so this isn't an issue...with a properly designed circuit this should not be an issue as the moderator suggests.

·
Super Moderator
25,183 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't there a fuse hole for switched 12v in the under dash fuse box???????

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there's a customer access circuit fused 10 amps that's switched on the 99-01 trucks. It's there for the PTO, I believe, but could be used for whatever you want. I used it for my mirror heat addition. I think the fuse was already installed in the box. Look for a light blue/pink wire in the lower right of the access panel. It's bundled along with the four customer access firewall pass-through wires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The blue with pink trace wire is definately a keyed ignition source, any ideas what fuse it is? It has power now but I want to know for future reference.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does anyone know the answer to the above question about the blue with pink under dash wire fuse location. I was using it but it is dead now and I can't find a blown fuse. 2001 F250
Thanks

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Well, my 03 has separate fuses for the cigarette lighter and the 12v outlet by where the airbag switch normally is.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,183 Posts
Does anyone know the answer to the above question about the blue with pink under dash wire fuse location. I was using it but it is dead now and I can't find a blown fuse. 2001 F250
Thanks
Customer access blue/pink wire is fed by connected to fuse 27 (10A) in the Central Junction Box (that's the fuse box under the dash). That's for '99-01 trucks.
On an '02-?? the customer access wire is fed by fuse 2.29 (10A) and should be a white/lt blue wire,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts