The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Debating between the 6.0 (preferably already bulletproofed) and a 06-07 LBZ. I know that it has been asked many times before and I have read as many threads on a dozen different websites as I can. I'm wanting to stay away from the dpf systems entirely although I not totally against one of the new diesels with the scr system but they're mainly above what I want to spend. I really like the looks of the 03-07 SDs and I like the cat eyed Chevys (seats are more comfortable too). Both transmissions are pretty solid, although the Allison is a 6 spd vs the 5R110 5 spd. The biggest issue to me is the motors. A bulletproofed 6.0 or a 6.6LBZ. Anyone had both that can give a side by side opinion? I'm probably not going to be hauling stuff real often but frankly my last diesel did spoil me so towing anything with a gas motor just irritates me no end and of course it will be 4x4 (and King Ranch if a PSD).

·
Registered
353 Posts
The allison in the the chevy/GMs do not like power adders/programmers. We have had 2 of them with 60 to 80 hp programmers in them and by 75k the trans started giving trouble. I know of a number of others with similar situations. If you leave the GM/Chev all stock the transmission is great. As for 6.0, make sure the bullet proofing was done by someone reputable and i wouldn't be concerned with the 5r110 it is a tough trans.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts