The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a new diesel and trade my 6.0L in. What have you guys learned about these trucks? What gear is better. I tow skid steer and tractor and horses. What are the pros and cons on these new trucks.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I replaced my 6.0 with the current 2012 6.7 and can not believe the difference. Truck pulls my toy hauler a lot smoother as you can feel the better power from take off to cruising on the highway. The difference from my 2004 to the 2012 is night and day with the comfort and technology. I only had 85K miles on the 6.0, but it started nickle and diming at the end, best to move on and upgrade.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What gear do you have in your truck

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
He is asking gear ratio.

It you are towing, I would get as much gear as possible. 3.55 I think is as much as you can get with a SRW.
If you want more, you have to go dually. Then you get 3.73 for the F350 or 4.30 for the F450.

·
Registered
139 Posts
In the SRW the 3.31 has the same tow rating as the 3.55. That being said the trucks that come with 3.55 have the 20 inch tires that are taller then the 18's that come with trucks equipped with 3.31 gears. That pretty much equals the gear final ratio in the two.
I tack about 1600 RPM at 70 MPH (3.31) and have heard the same with trucks with 3.55 gears. If you plan on bigger tires I would defenetly get the 3.55 though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In the SRW the 3.31 has the same tow rating as the 3.55. That being said the trucks that come with 3.55 have the 20 inch tires that are taller then the 18's that come with trucks equipped with 3.31 gears. That pretty much equals the gear final ratio in the two.
I tack about 1600 RPM at 70 MPH (3.31) and have heard the same with trucks with 3.55 gears. If you plan on bigger tires I would defenetly get the 3.55 though.
I have the 3.55 rear end with 18's, didn't need or want the 20's anyway. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What can I expect from the new engine. I know it has more power then my 6.0L and has more technology but as far as maintenance goes and fuel mileage. What are the pros and cons. If you we're goin to buy one what would you want to know

·
Registered
62 Posts
My 2012 gets 18-19 mpg unloaded on the highway, 14-15 unloaded in the city and 12.5 pulling a loaded 10k lb travel trailer. I have the 3.55 rear end with 20's. I've had F-350's with 460 gas (1993), 7.3 IDI (1997), two 7.3's Power Strokes, one 6.0 and my last truck had the 6.4. IMHO this new engine is hands down the class of the field in terms of towing power. You will be impressed!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I came out of an 05 PSD and stepped into a '12. The truck itself is wonderful. The engine has GOBS of power. My only qualm is with the transmission. You'll see in this forum this is a widespread issue.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You will be fine with any gear ratio offered, the truck has so much torque. The 6.7 is amazing compared to a 6.0.

If you are going to be towing a lot I recommend finding one equipped with a back-up camera. It is so nice to back under the trailer tongue the first time every time.

As the poster above mentioned there are some occasional shifting issues that are annoying.

·
Registered
736 Posts
You can get 3.55's/18" with the camper package apparently. I'm running 3.31, tow at GCVWR with no problems. No continental divide passes here but the cascades are just as steep albeit shorter. You'll walk away from the mini Ken's (class III?) with the small Cummins or Cat's.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Depends on the gross weight you expect to be hauling. I tow for a living, my 450 pickup has the standard (and only) 4.30 ratio which is perfect for the high load demands I put on it. I retired the 450 pickup in favor of a 550 C/C also with the 4.30 ratio. OOPS If you are only towing occasionally and below #15,000 trailer weight, I'm sure a 350 with the 3.55 would be fine. On the cost/durability issues I have 200,000 on my 450 PU with no motor/transmission issues but they are expensive to maintain if you adhere to the maint schedule which I do. Fuel mileage is hard to predict, there are just too many variables. I can tell you that my 450 averaged 9.1 MPG all miles run loaded and empty and loaded I mean 65 feet long, 13.5 high and 8.5 wide GVW about #27,000

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've been watching with interest the 6.7's. I currently have an 01 7.3 with 150K, still runs good, but wondering if time to switch up. I had an 06 6.0, loved the truck, didn't like being left with a bad turbo at 1400 miles. But that is the past.

I have run Dodge's as well, my son has an 06 Cummins, runs great, but the Dodge truck itself is not of the Ford level of quality. We've also had a couple other Fords and Dodge's with the 7.3 and 5.9 respectively.

I test drove a 6.7 about a year ago, very nice truck, power was impressive. However - after being burned on the 6.0 [long story with the turbo and Ford response] I am gunshy on the newer diesels to be honest.

I have noted on this forum very few bad issues surfacing, which I am glad to see!! I also note folks are getting up in mileage on these trucks as well - after a few years and miles and all kinds of use models - this is where weak links and failures start to show.

2013 is production year 3, Being in engineering for 30 years I know it takes time and lots of ECO's to correct the product to where it is as reasonably good as it gets....

Sorry for the ramble - Big question is - is the 6.7 a keeper? Worth making the jump?

Thanks!

Coolhand

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Coolhand, I was in the same boat. Had 01 with 205K on it that was done just the way I liked it. I skipped all of the 6.0 and 6.4 stuff but made the plunge in 2010 for one of the first 2011s in the state. I have 51K on it now and absolutely love it. The power is amazing and the refinement of the truck is unbelievable. I have towed probably 10K miles on it all over Colorado and the west and it is like night and day compared to my tuned 7.3L. I also love the fact the thing has no smell, the emissions stuff makes it a much cleaner ride. Was in my buddy's 6.0 Wednesday with all of the EGR delete and other "improvements" and I forgot how nasty the smell is. I have had basically zero problems, outside of the retunes that have been done. The transmission acted stupidly a few times in the beginning, but it has been flawless every since. There is really no comparison between the old trucks and these new ones. Good luck!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Really can't compare to other Fords as this is my first one. Glad to have made the move. Used to be a GM guy. The duramax/allison combo is great, but compared to the GM this truck hands down loves to be worked. The 6.7 is so smooth and quiet you won't even know there's a 800ft.lb powerhouse under the hood. Mine is equipped with the 3.55 gears. I tow skid steers (8k) regularly as well as machinery attachments, and a 24' enclosed trailer used to carry 4 touring motorcycles and all associated gear.

Overall this is the best truck I have ever driven. Also had a Dodge (work truck) with a Cummins. The Cummins will outlast all the others, but the Dodge will fall apart underneath you and nickle and dime you to death.

I did experience erratic shifting with mine out of the gate which was cured by tsb 12-5-12 at the first service. I am also experiencing the driveline vibration on takeoff when towing heavy but going to discuss this with my dealer next service. (You will find these threads on the forums page).

At 12k so far and really enjoying this truck. Get one. You won't be sorry. Just be sure that your dealer has a certified powerstroke tech on hand, these beasts are pretty complicated and your dealer will make all the difference in proper servicing. My dealer is out in the country where they sell a ton of diesel pickups and my powerstroke tech is awesome.

Let me suggest a couple of upgrades from the get go, replace the crappy rancho shocks and steering stabilizer (if equipped) with bilsteins. The michelins aren't bad, but Toyos work excellent with the heavy trucks.

Buy one and drive it like you stole it. It loves it.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2012 6.7 w/duallys and a 4.10 rear I believe, it has amazing power, super quiet, and with the duals it tracks really well, I haul gravel/stone/etc in the dump body, and tow a skidsteer at the same time and the truck never gets scared. loaded I average 14-15, and on the open road cruising I get 17 or better, I have yet to figure out how to turn off the 80 mph speed limiter..sometimes I just want to go fast.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts