The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I am having an issue with my truck regarding a loose steering wheel (only up and down movement) side to side is solid... the lower column is very sable and doesn't move the movement is coming from up past the shift selector ring (or whatever its called).. it does appear that the metal ring is broken is there a part number for the metal ring? ive been trying to look at diagrams and cant locate that broken metal part.

Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Have you done any disassembly? Pictures? My first thought is a bearing issue or the snap ring that holds them in with a spring. I also vaguely remember that if it's a tilt wheel or not, the upper column still has hinge points with a lock that holds the steering wheel steady - a failure there would explain the up and down movement with no side to side play acting like the tilt function will not lock.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't done any disassembling yet but I wanted to get a attack plan before diving in and I actually don't think it has tilt TBH... I will provide pictures soon. Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Post a picture of the hole where the blinker stalk goes into the column.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you done any disassembly? Pictures? My first thought is a bearing issue or the snap ring that holds them in with a spring. I also vaguely remember that if it's a tilt wheel or not, the upper column still has hinge points with a lock that holds the steering wheel steady - a failure there would explain the up and down movement with no side to side play acting like the tilt function will not lock.
View attachment 158320
Let me know what you think of the pictures

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Really cant tell what the problem is. It's going to require disassembly in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
It's a tilt column, and it looks like it has been busted for a while. I think you're gonna need to find a replacement. The one I have is for floor shift. This shows the 4 versions of steering column used in these trucks:

(phone app link)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just an update... I will need to get a new assy but luckily I was able to fit the broken cast piece together and JB weld and put a screw to hold the broken section in place. It's much better now BUT I know that won't last long.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just an update... I will need to get a new assy but luckily I was able to fit the broken cast piece together and JB weld and put a screw to hold the broken section in place. It's much better now BUT I know that won't last long.
Sorry to necro this old thread but did you figure this out? What part number / thing on that above explode diagram was bad? My truck is exactly the same

1 - 14 of 14 Posts