The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Recently been loosing 4X4.

For some reason occassionally when the vehicle is put into High 4X4 and I stop (to open a gate etc) it drops back to High 2WD, I got sick of this and started to put the vehicle into Low 4X4, now when it drops back it goes into High 4X4.

Has anyone else had this happen and if so what is the solution.

I have changed the Transfer Case activation motor and the wiring plugs to it, could it be the actual switch on the dash.

My vehicle is a 2001 F-350 Super Duty 7.3 6 Speed Manual Dually.

All replies would be greatly appreciated.

Lloyd Mac

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not an expert on the electrical portion of the 4X4 system on our trucks, but have you tried manually locking the hubs to see if the wheels stay engaged? Since you've changed the activation motor and wiring, the 4L to 4H quirk would suggest an electrical gremlin in the dash switch. Hopefully someone with more know-how will pipe up. Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not an expert on the electrical portion of the 4X4 system on our trucks, but have you tried manually locking the hubs to see if the wheels stay engaged? Since you've changed the activation motor and wiring, the 4L to 4H quirk would suggest an electrical gremlin in the dash switch. Hopefully someone with more know-how will pipe up. Good luck
Thanks for the reply 30fathoms, I'm not an electrian either, but was after some info to give to one if possible. My hubs are manual. it must be an electrical issue because the dash symbols change as does the 4X4 mode.

Once again thanks.
Lloyd Mac

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
The best way to diagnose this would be to use a scan tool capable of monitoring input and output parameters in the GEM module when the transfer case occurs. That would show a potential problem with the 4X4 switch or with the gear motor encoder which you replaced) There is always an outside chance that the GEM itself is damaged or failing - it's a common pattern failure for water to leak into the junction box and damage the GEM circuitry which usually affects other subsystems.

The odd thing is that this only occurs when you shift the truck into park and get out of the vehicle?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts