The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body running a lope tune? Is this hard on the motor?

·
Registered
489 Posts
i dont think it is too harmful to the motor, but i dont see the point in a lope tune. i guess if you have a 5pos chip that you can change on the fly, it would be alright to show off, but with something like an sct, its pointless. when u r sitting at a stop light, ur truck wil wanna take off. all they do is make it lope.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I am not sure why you would want a loping option. I have seen videos of loping and can't imagine it is good for the engine
i dont think it is too harmful to the motor, but i dont see the point in a lope tune. i guess if you have a 5pos chip that you can change on the flyi, it would be alright to show off, but with something like an sct, its pointless. when u r sitting at a stop light, ur truck wil wanna take off. all they do is make it lope.
I

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
276 Posts
There's already a thread on this I don't know how to hyperlink it but check for it

As to answer your question a lope tune is completely retarded it's just going to make you look like (no pun intended) a broke ass that can't take care of his exspenvice toy and it's going to harm your TRANS because of the excessive surging (wanting to lunge forward at stops)

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
That is what I had thought. I have seen some videos of "loping" trucks, and I could not imagine that it is good for the engine. I imagine lots of stresses, etc. I would much rather run mine, inconspicuously, from a red light, leaving the rice burners behind. Now... full throttle, with a 4" Turbo Back, that is a beautiful thing.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I don't want a lope tune. A buddy that I work with has one on his duramax. I see no point in it. But I was thinking that it would be hard on an engine. I was just wondering what you guys new about them. This was the first time I heard about a lope tune.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Everyone has videos of their exhaust and outside of their truck. I guarantee that the engine is jumping all over the place. There is no way that this isn't bad for the engine and mounts. I had a high lift cam in my mustang that shook the entire car, but at least it served a purpose. I see no benefit to a "lope tune" other than making your truck look and sound like a POS.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had one. I thought it was cool for the drive home but that was about it. I was pissed when I lost it when I updated my firmware. I liked it for car shows just cruising down the strip. It did suck sitting at stop lights because the truck would just jump.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Its mostly an opinionated subject some find the lope tune not harmful and others do find it harmful....but what I have noticed is that the majority of the people that find it harmful are the ones against it... in my opinion they are not harmful to the internals of the motor, but I would say they are some what hard on motor mounts, but then again look at the torque that your motor mounts handle at WOT.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Whether is unhealthy for a motor/trans/drive-line or not isn't an opinion.

If it was an opinion, my opinion would be that mine is healthy, making 800HP safely and getting 32 MPG around town and 50+ towing on the HWY. Oh, and runs on a blend of 50% fuel and 50% opinion. :D

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
There's a big difference between stresses applied at WOT, where the power and thus load is added progressively, and smacking the mounts with short bursts of power while the truck is otherwise unloaded. Yes, a dragstrip launch is going to be hard on mounts, etc. But at least that serves a purpose. Loping makes the truck sound like its dropping a cylinder. My motto is look stock and run hard. I could just never get into the look like you run hard and run stock deal. At the next stop light I like being the guy with the you know what eating grin on his face, not the guy with his tail between his legs. I like being the guy who gets the looks and the questions that go something like "Holy &*($ what have you done to that thing?!" Truth is, the older I get the less I'm inclined to waste fuel showing some idiot that his junk isn't fast. Now knowing that I can is usually enough. Ignorance is bliss, why bring them into the light?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lope tune is terrible for your motor as far as I know I've never seen any tranny issues/drivetrain issues but I have seen first hand lope tune washing down cylinder walls cracking Pistons throwing rings etc don't do it... It just make your rig sound like it barely runs anyways.......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts