The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good evening,
I just replaced the IPR on my "newest" 96 7.3. It had been loping & then died & wouldn't start. It still lopes upon startup with the new IPR, & I have to modulate that out w/ pedal, & then it runs "normally".

As soon as I get a project Jeep roadable, I'm getting close to replacing all o-rings, HPOP hoses, UVC Gaskets, etc up topside on the 7.3, to get the valley's "swamp" drained.

I will also change all the rubber Fuel lines.

The K&N element was nasty when I bought the truck, so I'm abt to clean/reoil it. The Fuel Filter is now new, too.

Thx in advance for all pointers.

·
Registered
185 Posts
FWIW (and this probably isn't worth much), when I bought my 1999 7.3 about 8 years ago with 59,000 miles on it, initially I only drove it every 4-6 weeks. When starting after a 6 week sit, it would always lope. I didn't understand why and still don't. The lope would go away after 20-30 seconds or so. On my second oil change I replaced the dino oil with full synthetic --Rotella T6-- and never had another instance of lope after start up. I wasn't a big "synthetic oil only" kind of guy and still am not ....however my 7.3 only gets synthetic now. Got to be some kind of difference with the synthetic oil to stop my loping on start up issue. Provided I'm accurately attributing the prevention of the lope to the use of Synthetic oil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the reply.

If you only changed one thing & the problem went away, that can't be unrelated. Ya mighta cleared out some sludge somewhere with different oil.

It's had slow but steady oil leaks topside, & has run low sometimes, to the point that I carry an extra gallon at at times. It's currently a light-duty daily driver til I can dry it up.

I've cleaned the engine a coupla times, but haven't been able to watch it long enuf to pinpoint the leaks, so I'm gonna just change all the 21-yr old/330k mile hoses, gaskets & seals when I can take the time to do all of it right.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts