The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blew a heater hose on top of engine, didnt realize til temp guage went to red. Backed down to 40 mph and it came off red but started making squealing/chirping noise like a bad idler bearing, etc. Got towed home, replaced hose and filled it up with Kmart brand yellow coolant. Fired her up and squealing like dry bearing. Oddly it quiets a bit when AC is turned on but that also slows the RPMs.

So, I ran it until the first level went down then added up to full. Ran it bout 8 miles and came home. Noticed in the degas that there seemed to be layers in the coolant. Under was yellow, then a black band about 1/2 deep then a strange greenish top that smells like turpentine. I siphoned it down to the yellow and poured the stuff into a big plastic clear bowl. It had small bit and chunks of what looked like burned cork. Some looked like blackish mold or soft glue but would rub to nothing between my fingers. The rest of the fluid was milky greenish and very oily feeling. Again it smelled like turpentine.

So what the heck? The squeal/chatter wont stop. Could running it ten miles with no coolant have killed the water pump? Is the top layer due to diesel fuel in the water and if so, coincidence or would over heating have caused this? Whats the strange corky/burned stuff that floats?

·
Premium Member
15,129 Posts
Pull the belt and start it. If the noise is gone, spin one component at a time until you figure out which one is the culprit. Is the stuff you extracted flammable? You may have blown an injector cup spilling diesel into the coolant.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh man. Just what I need now

Is an injector cup hard to replace? How does one tell if one or more is blown--would it run different? And, could that running dry have harmed the water pump bearing?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im afraid its fuel not oil

Checked my oil and its near black. The milky stuff is greenish and smells like turpentine but the harder corky stuff is puzzling. Whats an injector cup made of and how could its material have gotten into the coolant?

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Checked my oil and its near black. The milky stuff is greenish and smells like turpentine but the harder corky stuff is puzzling. Whats an injector cup made of and how could its material have gotten into the coolant?
Best to approach this one step at a time.

First determine what is making the noise.

Then start tracking down the issue.

·
Premium Member
15,129 Posts
Injector cups aren't hard if you have/rent the tool. They are brass but they are set in with a green Loctite. Possibly some of what you are seeing in the coolant. I suppose a dry water pump could overheat and lose a bearing, but I would think the motor would go first. I suspect your coolant took out one of the idler bearings.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I pulled the belt and hand spun everything---dont know if that was fast enough to make it happen but the tensioner has two pulleys and the outer one sounded dry and ringy. How could losing my coolant and overheating have done that?

·
Premium Member
15,129 Posts
The pulleys have a 6203 bearing. They aren't particularly sealed well. The hot coolant probably washed the little remaining grease out. You can buy the bearings a heck of a lot cheaper than a new pulley and swap them yourself. Start the truck and confirm the sound is gone.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still cant figure out the strange greenish milky layer that had the bits of black mushy stuff and a few that looked like burned cork that were floating in top of the bottle after I filled it back up from running dry. Can a water pump bearing loose stuff like that and if so wouldnt it be loose if I grab the fan?

·
Premium Member
15,129 Posts
I don't think its the water pump. I suspect the high heat cooked some stuff that was in the coolant. Maybe some rust let go or old gunk that was hiding in the back of some water passageway cooked off. I really wouldn't worry about it if you aren't having overheat issues after refilling. If you'd blown a head gasket or cracked the block, you'd know about it by now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts