The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a call from my brother in law at around noon, he was stuck in the snow in the mountains. Rounded up the straps and shovels and headed out. After driving down to him I got a little stuck trying to back up. I got out WITHOUT ABUSING THE TRUCK AT ALL after a little digging, but then out of nowhere my tranny started taking longer and longer to engage into drive. Then NOTHING!!! I still have reverse, but in about 15 miniuts I lost all foreward gears! 100k on the truck. I just put a 6 pos. chip in a week ago, theres no way it could have bad programming in the chip could it? I also upgraded my EARLY 99 computer to a 2001 DPC422. Could this have anything to do with it? Any help would be greatly appriciative. If nothing else, who makes the best rebuild kits and tourqe converters? I have a buddy that can rebuild it for me.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I've got an early 99 also. I didn't see in your sig if you have guages or not. Check the fluid. Does it smell or look burnt? Did you do a lot of rocking to get it unstuck? The early 99's were also prone to have bad TC's? Is yours still stock?

Dave

·
Registered
571 Posts
Contact Richter69 here on TDS he is the perfect guy for you...He can rebuild your tranny....

·
Registered
165 Posts
The "Monster in a Box" kit that Bob Riley sells is great if you can really trust your buddy with the rebuild.

Jeff

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave, no guages /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gifyet. Thats whats got me worried, no hard rocking back and forth, no punishment at all in my foreward gears. Reverse got what little throttle i had to give her. I went from a good feeling tranny to a smoked one in a matter of 15 min. I see you have the MONSTER BOX, how do you like it? Do they have a good rep? Thats what Im leaning towards, may just order one monday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif Bye, bye nice income tax return, bye, bye.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Dave, no guages /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gifyet. Thats whats got me worried, no hard rocking back and forth, no punishment at all in my foreward gears. Reverse got what little throttle i had to give her. I went from a good feeling tranny to a smoked one in a matter of 15 min. I see you have the MONSTER BOX, how do you like it? Do they have a good rep? Thats what Im leaning towards, may just order one monday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif Bye, bye nice income tax return, bye, bye.

[/ QUOTE ]

My MonsterBox is awesome. A buddy and I installed it in a day...and we both had never done anything like that before. Somebody who actually know what they were doing would most likely do it in a much shorter time span. When I bought it, the builder(Gregg Evans) practically dared me to break it.

You can get it from Bob Riley here. Give Bob a call. Super person to do business with. While you are on the phone with him...do yourself a big favor and get some guages from him, and also order the external tranny filter kit.

Dave

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've an early 99 and my truck got over 190k, been pull trailer( as much as 17k lbs) and 5th wheels with it(7k).
the day i drive out of the dealer is the day i never touch the transmission..no oil change or filter change /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
and it's still going..100% stock trans

globey

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I've an early 99 and my truck got over 190k, been pull trailer( as much as 17k lbs) and 5th wheels with it(7k).
the day i drive out of the dealer is the day i never touch the transmission..no oil change or filter change
and it's still going..100% stock trans

[/ QUOTE ]
Ya never even changed the TC?? Bet ya just jinxed yerself !!!!! I had to replace mine at 165k....so yer on borrowed time!
But replacing with a BTS was the best thing I could have done!!!!! Drives like a new one....

·
Registered
574 Posts
Q-Ball I got both of mine from Bob. He is great to work with. Both of mine have been flawless so far. I did get a tru cool max cooler and Bobs remote filter assy. It's an easy install and the products are great. The shifts are quick but not harsh trannie temps are below 120 and the converter lock ups are smooth. I have a PMT3 code on my pickup and I don't know how it compares to yours.

Jim a lot of us know BTS is a good trannie but for us that did not plan ahead he was not an option for me or a lot of us. I can't wait 2 months for a tranmission for either of my trucks. Both of mine had low mileage and had the sonnax/tricumulator installed along with syn fluids and mag-hytec pan. I took care of them temps never went over 165 and they still went south at an early age. Maybe if I had planed to replace them right out of warranty I would have gone to Brian. BTW when trannie number 1 went south I called Brian and I am still waiting on a return call. Now that is what I call good customer service! That is also why I own 2 monster boxes. I called Bob he ship them right out to me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was just driving down main street and kicked it down to pass a car and now the truck is in getting a new trans in it I lost 3rd and reverse these seem to be very week tranys in these trucks it did have 117000 miles on it but I only owened it for about 6 months I hope that yours turns out better than mine
Chris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif

·
Registered
216 Posts
jimtjr,

you maybe right ( i am sure of it,:).) after i read all the stuff in the forum..things like..take to the dealer and have them install the wrong trans fluids merc v..soo i told myself, what if i do nothing but keep on driving it and don't care about it ..
just want to see how long this transmission gonna last..just remember i never add any fluids to the trans..and it is 100% stock from the dealer
i got the money save up for the BTS since the truck already been paid off...i am waiting for it to die and it had been over two years..
if this trans last for another two more years..i save enough money for the F350

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

globey

·
Registered
731 Posts
For those of you with early 99's with functioning OEM trans & convertors DON'T EVER SAY THE WORD "TRANSMISSION" AGAIN! You are just asking for it! I dumped $8000 into mine before going with Brian at BTS. Since then there's been 64,000 miles of trouble-free TRANSMISSION abuse.
And... I can say "TRANSMISSION" all I want!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wife isnt too happy about it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, but I ordered my MONSTER BOX today. $3250 with free shipping of the new one and my old one back to him (Bob). Not too bad. Hope its as great as you all say it is. Thanks for your replies, Ill let you know how it goes. WISH ME LUCK!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
36 Posts
I blew mine 2 weeks ago sunday i put in my monsterbox on sunday, two budys and i had it done in 4.5 hours with a full flush mag-hytech pan, tru cool max and bob's filter kit. I love it, starting to learn that Bob not only knows his crap, but he's always right. Thanks Bob. Chris W.C.D.P.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts