The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my transmission completely go out as I was picking the kids up from classes.

No warning signs. Just turned a corner and started to accellerate when we heard a big and knock and lost engagement in all gears, including reverse.

Any idea what it could be and how I can resolve this? is there any way to engage the front hubs just to drive it a few miles home?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
What transmission? What year/model truck? 4x4 or 2WD? And no, "it's in my sig" doesn't answer the question.

Edit - context-based answer "lock the front hubs" implies it's 4x4. Are they stock auto-lock hubs or manuals?

IF it's an automatic, FIRST thing to check - shift to PARK, and see if the truck holds its place, or can be pushed. If it doesn't hold its place, you most likely have a t-case or driveline problem. If it does hold in PARK, then look upstream - transmission, torque converter.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
C350 PSD, 4x4, factory auto hubs. Thanks for the tips. I will check out what it does in park and update.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...continuing.. 1996 C350 (same as F350) E4OD. It also has an upgraded Racer X Triple Billet torque converter, and a custom Racer X accumulator body that have worked great for the last 5 years.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hi City Cruzer,
When my transmission went out, it did the same thing as you described. It turned out the forward drum cracked and the transmission lost all gears. I ended up going to John Wood and he rebuilt the transmission.
If you need any assistance, I'm either in Riverside or the High Desert area.

Carl.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It holds its place in park so I guess it's going to mean transmission problems. Having it towed home

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Saw this on Ebay

Any thoughts on this transmission? also, it says Heavy Duty. Does that mean it's built to Ford OEM HD transmission specs?

also looking at a John Wood or BTS but not sure that I can scrape up the funds at this time.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
15,127 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts