The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an 03 7.3 f250 yesterday while driving back home from Baton Rouge the truck was running fine I sped up to go around some traffic from the on ramp and the truck started losing power moved over to the shoulder and it died. I replaced the cam sensor and the truck did run but it was missing real bad. I don't know what mods have been done to the truck but it did have a bully dog sticker under the f250 emblem and it has a big ass exhaust pipe. Please guys do what you do here and help me fix this thing also please tell me the best scan tool to buy. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
Autoenginuity with the Ford Enhancement is the best scanner. There's a guy selling his on the forum right now - http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f40/autoenginuity-559769/ That's a good deal - usual price is $359

What was your fuel level when it acted up? There is a known issue at 1/4 tank if the pickup foot is having issues. Check fuel pressure if you can or open the drain valve (yellow lever on the back of the fuel bowl) then cycle the key while watching under the front of the truck. It should expel a healthy stream of diesel if the pump is working right.

Check your oil level. The injectors work off of pressurized oil. If the level drops and you suck air, you'll have issues.

Check for chaffing of the wiring harness - particularly where the harness crosses over the driver's side valve cover.

Try unplugging your ICP sensor (3 wire front inner aspect of driver's side head) and see if the engine smooths out. Check for oil penetration through the sensor.

Try those things and report back - more ideas available...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just over 1/4 tank took cap off of fuel bowl cycled key plenty of fuel. Unplugged sensor like you said truck did crank but it ran like crap plugged it back in truck would not start. And btw the check engine light is not coming on except for when the sensor was unplugged. The harness was moist with oil but not soaked. Thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump ! Please help !

·
Registered
527 Posts
If icp has oil in it it is bad. Replace it and either clean or replace pigtail. Check to make sure IPR tin nut is still on and tight. Also look at the harnesses going into valve covers to make sure they are plugged in tight.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where is the ipr ?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Were are you at I am in lake charles. If you are close I might be able to help I have a few spare parts.

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
IPR location - lean over the front of the engine, just over the HPOP reservoir, and look straight down. Its sticking out the back of the pump. Looks like this:

IPR.jpg

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Texkenusmc thanks for the offer but I'm in Biloxi Ms.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: unplugging the ICP makes no difference
I am getting white smoke from exhaust when engine is spinning over
Fuel pump is working

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man back in the old days I would have had ten pages of discussion on this. Where did everyone go ?

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
Just waiting for you to check in with the above suggestions.

Wire chaffing over the valve cover?
IPR tin nut?
Oil level?
sspitt2e suggestion about a possible bad CPS out of the box. What brand?

Its hard to keep giving more suggestions when we don't know if you've tried any of the ones we've already given.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok update
AE tool came in this morning and this is what I have
P0605 internal control module (read only memory) ROM
P1298 injector control module

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
P1298 indicates IDM stored codes. Run the injector buzz test to reveal.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All injectors passed the buzz test

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
I misled you. P1316 shows codes stored. P1298 is a full failure code for the PCM, though it normally comes up with P1667. I would clear all codes and see if anything else shows up. Then, I would set your AE to read RPM, IC pressure, IPR duty cycle, injector pulse width, and voltage. Hit record and try to start it. Post the data here.

Is it still not starting at all for you or is it running rough once started?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't know how to transfer the data
Injector control pressure koeo 36.77
ICP duty cycle 14.84
ICP volts .28
Couldn't find some of the other settings u wanted me to try
All numbers increased while cranking
Cleared codes now I'm getting icm rom error

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
You need 500 psi while cranking to get the injectors to fire.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So are we leaning ICM ?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts