The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1993 7.3 Turbo 5 speed
Hi
I have serval things happening to this truck. It lost power and would barely move or run. We had to haul it home. After getting to shop we started looking at issues. it is a 1993 7.3 Turbo 5 speed.

we have checked we are getting past fuel filter at 4-6 psi and get about 1/3 pint in 10 sec so pickup/ lift pump seams to work. we have not been able to bleed air out to injectors. so we stopped. we are thinking it may be best if do a compression test. to see if engine is worth fixing. I have not been able to find a compression chart?
:sick:

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
It sounds like the injector pump let go. As far as compression goes, if it started easily and ran ok before the loss of power, then it probably is still in good enough shape to run for a good long while. You aren't getting fuel to the injectors, and if it is getting through the filter like you said it is, then it IS getting to the injector pump, just not through it. As far as compression pressures go I don't know, and don't have a book in front of me to look it up. If you don't get an answer to your question, the local library usually has a Chilton's Manuel, at least mine does. I've used that source on many occasions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My thinking is before I spend 600 to 800 + labor on a IP should I test compression test and inspect and run a pop test on injectors. as I have to replace fuel returns on all the injectors anyway.

your thoughts ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts