The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
So driving in to work tonight I noticed my 2002 7.3l rolling lots of white smoke. I didnt notice it until I got off the interstate and was slowing down to make a turn. I havent checked anything with my AE yet as I am at work. My question is what might be the root causes(blown head gasket, injector's, ect...) All i know is what my gauges in the truck are telling me, witch is all normal. All normal gauges plus trany temp,boost,fuel pressure and pyro. If you need me to list all my mods I will just dont know if it is important. Thanks guys for the help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So on break I was looking under the hood to see if anythimg looked abnormal. There was no liquid on the vally of the engine, no big spots under truck, coolant level was normal and smell was on par, enging oil level was a little low but nothing abnormal. Started the truck and let it idle, after maybe five minuets it started very lightly smoking, and i mean very lightly. As i gave it some gas it really smoked bad but went away almost as soon as i let off. I was looking at the turbo and where the turbo outlet bolts to the turbine housing i noticed what looked like oil seepage. So my question now is could the turbo be shot? I had a local shop install bellowed uppipes about a month ago could they have messed it up taking it off to do the work? My thought is maybe oil is leaking into the exhaust and burning creating the smoke.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
That is one possibility - if the seals are shot. It can be rebuilt with a turbo rebuild kit. Is there oil coming out the tailpipe? Is it blueish or really white.

It is likely either coolant, oil from the turbo, or injector sticking open. Coolant is sweet smelling, fuel will hurt your eyes, and oil will be smokey (and not necessarily bluish like a car).

I would say turbo is a good deduction...but you can also have the injectors tested in the truck to look for anything abnormal - but if it runs smooth, you are likely on the right track.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The exhaust is not sweet smelling at all, smells like good old diesel. A sfar as the smoke goes I would say mostly white. It is still running smoth for now. How or what kind of test can i do on the injectors while they are still in the truck. I have an AE scan tool and have run a buzz test, they all check out as far as i can tell(sound and duration). I have not checked the tail pipe for oil yet but will as soon as i leave work. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So new discovery! Got off work , went out to truck, checked oil level nothing on the stick! Put 1 gallon to bring it up to full. There was a huge oil spot under the truck by the rear axle where two sections of exhaust pipe clamp together. Decided to get a ride home from a friend and have the old girl towed home. Wont be able to do anything to her till Friday when I get off. Going to start with turbo, hoping that is it, will finally be upgrading to a 38R with any luck. Let me know what else it might be just in case it's not the turbo. Thanks all

·
Registered
310 Posts
I just replaced my turbo last summer. It ran great but the smoke was terrible. Mostly in off throttle conditions though. Turned out to be the seal inside it

·
Registered
2 Posts
have 1999 7.3 with 200400+ miles The truck just started blowing out white smoke, no warning. I ran Forscan and it said I had low contribution on cylinder 8. No other code except for a fault in the backpressure system . No oil in the coolant that I can see and I'm not losing any coolant.
I pulled the #8 injector injector and brought it to a shop that test injectors. He said it had a bad top o ring which he replaced and said the injector was was in good shape.
Put it all back together and ran the engine to see if #8 was shooting out oil and it was. I ran a buzz test and all sounded good. The truck was still blowing white smoke so I ran it to get the oil out of the cylinders incase that was the cause. Nope, still smoking and I am sill getting the the same low contribution code for the #8 cylinder..
I replace the CPS with a Ford because one of the post said that could be the problem. Nope, now I'm lost. Will a cracked injector cup cause it to billow out white smoke. or maybe a bad wire harness? did ohm test and got all 0s

·
Super Moderator
26,783 Posts
The Ford CPS frequently throws a contribution code on #8 cylinder. That's just the nature of the beast. You probably wasted your money pulling the #8 injector and having it tested.
You could have a bad turbo seal like the OP.
A cracked injector cup will typically show as fuel floating on the coolant tank. The coolant would have to get into the cylinders to smoke. Fuel rail runs at ~35-65 psi versus 16 psi in the coolant system, so fuel is going to go into the coolant not the other way around.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Ford CPS frequently throws a contribution code on #8 cylinder. That's just the nature of the beast. You probably wasted your money pulling the #8 injector and having it tested.
You could have a bad turbo seal like the OP.
A cracked injector cup will typically show as fuel floating on the coolant tank. The coolant would have to get into the cylinders to smoke. Fuel rail runs at ~35-65 psi versus 16 psi in the coolant system, so fuel is going to go into the coolant not the other way around.
Can’t see any fuel in the coolant. Checked the turbo and the blade wiggled do I’m thinking bad turbo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts