The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled onto the freeway yesterday and heard a loud crunching noise coming from driver's side wheel area and ABS light went on in Dash. I pulled over and looked to see if I could see anything wrong. Couldn't see any obvious problem; so had the truck towed home. Where to check first?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
You most likely have a hub failure. DENNY

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Denny. I'll check the hub.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Agreed on the hub. That was "my" first indicator. (Quotes because the previous owner had an indicator of tires rubbing, but he just put spacers on. )

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Keep us informed Don, I see on your signature 250K and hubs were previously replaced. If it turns out to be the unit bearing hub, what brand was it and about how many miles did you get out of it.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep us informed Don, I see on your signature 250K and hubs were previously replaced. If it turns out to be the unit bearing hub, what brand was it and about how many miles did you get out of it.
Yes, I'll let you know. I've been swamped with other projects and haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but I will soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pulled onto the freeway yesterday and heard a loud crunching noise coming from driver's side wheel area and ABS light went on in Dash. I pulled over and looked to see if I could see anything wrong. Couldn't see any obvious problem; so had the truck towed home. Where to check first?
Wheel bearing.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Keep going, when the bearing go's it can take out the rotor and caliper. DENNY

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keep going, when the bearing go's it can take out the rotor and caliper. DENNY
Got the nuts off from behind. That released the brake that was jammed against the rotor. Next step, the lock ring. I have the craftsman lock ring plier that got it off last time. Four or five other lock ring pliers failed to get it off, until I got the craftsman from Ace Hardware, and that did the job last time. Hopefully it works as well this time.

·
Super Moderator
26,160 Posts
Those axle shaft snap rings are probably the hardest part of the job. I've fiddled with them for a long time.
That wheel bearing hub was definitely lunched. Loaded calipers are the way to go for brake repairs. I had to do the fronts on mine twice when I went with pads and caliper rebuild kits. But it was my fault as I messed up the piston boots and the pistons started to bind up.

Oh yeah, do the slide pins while you're there.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the hub off. It is totally seized. Not sure what caused that to happen other than it obviously overheated. Any thoughts about anything else that I should check while I have it apart. Ready to start putting it all back together once I get all of the parts that I need.

Yes, I fiddled with the snap ring for days the last time, and ended up buying five or six different snap ring pliers to try to get it off, before I got the Craftsman snap ring pliers, which got it off. This time, I started with the Craftsman snap ring pliers, and it took off the snap ring very easily and quickly with no problem.

Reactions: DENNY

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
I suppose it depends whether you want to tear down all the way to pull axle and check U-joints while you’re there. I’m not sure how many miles you have on the hub(s) but if they were both previously changed at the same time, same brand, same miles on them, I might be inclined to replaced the other side as well. It would be a shame to have the truck down, do all that work only to have the other side go out 5 to 10 thousand miles down the road.

·
Super Moderator
26,160 Posts
Check the axle joints and ball joints. You're halfway to a ball joint replacement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts