The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 6.0 with 328k miles, just bought it about 3 weeks ago, no issues other than some minor oil leak. Changed oil and filter. Added some fuel cleaner two tanks ago. No lights on the dash... two days ago I noticed an audible knocking sound while idling, then more when I’d come to a stop with no load. If I’d be under load it’ll go away. (Or even just put it in reverse from neutral) Driving is fine and quiet at any speed, no miss, no power loss, but the knock/rattle sound is there as soon as it’s back at idle. There’s no smoke other than a small puff at a cold start up. It’s just so loud I can’t ignore it. It’s definately louder on the driver side. Any ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just replaced the fuel filters last night and added some more Amsoil diesel fuel treatment to see if that’d help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing is effecting performance, just a loud rattle/knock noise at low speeds. Could it be the flexplate?

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Record the sound and post. Not many people are going to offer a guess on just a description of a sound. Also, run the engine at various rpms when you do the recording.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Played that video for a mechanic, He said it "sounds like a loose heat shroud rattle"... Crawled under there and found the lower starter bolt missing and the top two were loose. New bolt in hand! M12 x 1.75 x 40MM

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took it to the shop, Torque converter backed off and was loose. Theyre applying loctite to the bolts and re-tightening for me. fingers crossed, thats it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts