The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving down the road and going up a small hill accelerating, when the engine noise got really loud with a sucking (like trying to increase more air) noise. When I let off of the gas it went away. I watched all of my gauges and nothing changed, including my turbo. I drove it the rest of the way home (20 miles) with only the noise on acceleration. I checked my air intake filter and it was dirty, but when I took it out completely and drove it down the road without a filter, it made the same noise. I am assuming that it is the turbo, because the noise ramps up like a jet engine only with acceleration. This is my only vehicle, and I can't afford to get it fixed. Does this sound like a turbo problem? Is it unsafe or bad to drive until I can get it fixed?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I was driving down the road and going up a small hill accelerating, when the engine noise got really loud with a sucking (like trying to increase more air) noise. When I let off of the gas it went away. I watched all of my gauges and nothing changed, including my turbo. I drove it the rest of the way home (20 miles) with only the noise on acceleration. I checked my air intake filter and it was dirty, but when I took it out completely and drove it down the road without a filter, it made the same noise. I am assuming that it is the turbo, because the noise ramps up like a jet engine only with acceleration. This is my only vehicle, and I can't afford to get it fixed. Does this sound like a turbo problem? Is it unsafe or bad to drive until I can get it fixed?

have you check your turbo hoses? look for small tears .ARE you loosing any power?

·
Premium Member
7,228 Posts
have you check your turbo hoses? look for small tears.
That was my first thought too...

You will need to feel around the hose from the turbo to the hot side CAC tube. It most commonly tears in a place you will not find on just a visual inspection.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Depending on the year of your truck, I have seen the intake side(which they switched to plastic) on I beleive 05 and up split also.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yes 05-up, I had small hole rubbed in mine when i got my truck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where are the hoses located and how do I tell if they have a hole in them? Would a hole in a hose make that loud of a sucking noise?

·
Premium Member
7,228 Posts
Check the hose that connects the hot side CAC pipe to the turbo... Be sure to check the underside, that is where they usually crack.... When mine split there, I still could make 20psi of boost but had that loud sound..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check the hose that connects the hot side CAC pipe to the turbo... Be sure to check the underside, that is where they usually crack.... When mine split there, I still could make 20psi of boost but had that loud sound..
Do you have a picture of where it would be located? How hard is it to change on my own? I don't know a ton about mechanics, but I am good with my hands, and can do it if I can visualize where I need to be. Also, is this hose something I can get at Advance Auto / Auto Zone?

·
Registered
264 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,228 Posts
what year is your truck?looks like a 7.3
That is a 7.3 in the picture.. Or, at least, it is NOT a 6.0 with the stock turbo......

rob, is that pic from your truck?? If so, then I need to move this to the 7.3 forums..

·
Registered
264 Posts
That is a 7.3 in the picture.. Or, at least, it is NOT a 6.0 with the stock turbo......

rob, is that pic from your truck?? If so, then I need to move this to the 7.3 forums..

that's brother that's what i thought:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorry, I downloaded a pic from the internet. My truck is a 2005 6.0L F250. This is what has happened since I posted last. I drove my truck to Advanced Auto Parts. I took the filter off to see if it was just my filter needing changed, it still made the same noise. I had one of the guys there come out and test drive and listen to it (he has the same truck), and he popped the hood and put his hand in front of the turbo intake (where I took the filter off) and it suck his hand to it, also the turbo was clean and turn without any problems. We then noticed that there was a little bit of black smoke that came out of the tail pipe when he parked it. So we are thinking that the problem might be that the turbo is sucking air in, but it is building up pressure somewhere on the other side of the turbo between the turbo and the exhaust. The turbo gauge would only go up to about 8 psi when in drive, and doesn't do anything with revving the engine in park. So I took the egr valve off and it was dirty, but not too dirt and I am soaking it in parts cleaner, and will replace it in the morning. We also talked to a diesel mechanic and he said to check the valve on the other side of the turbo, it could lock up too. Any thoughts with all of that?

·
Premium Member
7,228 Posts
You won't make much if any boost with the truck in park. There is no load on the engine, so it will not build boost. So that tells you nothing.

You still need to check the boot between the turbo and the hot side tube as your symptom fits right in line with a crack/split in that boot. This should not be hard for you to find... Look at the intercooler tube on the passenger side. Where it connects to the turbo, there is a blue boot. Check that boot on the bottom and back side. Generally, that is where it will crack. If you don't find one there, check the one on the other end of that tube, where it goes into the intercooler. If you find not problems with that, check the other side (you'll need to take off the air filter for that).

·
Registered
264 Posts
I took the filter off to see if it was just my filter needing changed, it still made the same noise. I had one of the guys there come out and test drive and listen to it (he has the same truck), and he popped the hood and put his hand in front of the turbo intake (where I took the filter off)

Just throwing this out there not a good idea to run your truck without the filter or hose on:thdown: does not take much dirt or sand to mess your turbo up.Bad way to wast around grand.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
sorry, I downloaded a pic from the internet. My truck is a 2005 6.0L F250. This is what has happened since I posted last. I drove my truck to Advanced Auto Parts. I took the filter off to see if it was just my filter needing changed, it still made the same noise. I had one of the guys there come out and test drive and listen to it (he has the same truck), and he popped the hood and put his hand in front of the turbo intake (where I took the filter off) and it suck his hand to it, also the turbo was clean and turn without any problems. We then noticed that there was a little bit of black smoke that came out of the tail pipe when he parked it. So we are thinking that the problem might be that the turbo is sucking air in, but it is building up pressure somewhere on the other side of the turbo between the turbo and the exhaust. The turbo gauge would only go up to about 8 psi when in drive, and doesn't do anything with revving the engine in park. So I took the egr valve off and it was dirty, but not too dirt and I am soaking it in parts cleaner, and will replace it in the morning. We also talked to a diesel mechanic and he said to check the valve on the other side of the turbo, it could lock up too. Any thoughts with all of that?
Is your ccv system intact (turbo inlet duct)?

Be careful on "soaking" the EGR valve. There is a proper way to clean and many "improper" ways. You can ruin the EGR valve if cleaning fluid gets in the actuator (either through the weep holes or even by "wicking" through the shaft seals).

What "valve on the other side of the turbo" are you talking about w/ your 2005?

I also agree about NOT running your truck w/ the air filter removed - even for a little bit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I only soaked it from the screw plate down (in a cup), and the acuator was above the fluid levels. Also, I don't know what the ccv system is? I am not sure about the valve on the other side of the turbo, what I got out of the conversation was that the turbo suck in the air, pressure builds up, and then a valve releases (this valve). I wasn't really following too well what he was saying. He wanted me to call him after I got the EGR back on, but I ordered new EGR valve gaskets that will be in
Tuesday.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Here is the air system (except your 2005 does not have the throttle plate).

Page 32: Air Management System

I guess the valve he was talking about is the VGT control valve.

·
Premium Member
7,228 Posts
I only soaked it from the screw plate down (in a cup), and the acuator was above the fluid levels. Also, I don't know what the ccv system is? I am not sure about the valve on the other side of the turbo, what I got out of the conversation was that the turbo suck in the air, pressure builds up, and then a valve releases (this valve). I wasn't really following too well what he was saying. He wanted me to call him after I got the EGR back on, but I ordered new EGR valve gaskets that will be in
Tuesday.
I think he is talking about a backpressure valve, which your turbo does not have (provided it is the stock turbo)......

As Mark said, the only other "valve" he could be talking about is the VGT solenoid.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts