The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bout a used 2012 Ford F250 4x4 with the 6.7L with 100k miles. When I am on the freeway I have a loud vibrating/buzz noise that sounds like a heavy plastic piece catching wind and vibrating. The noise is only present at or around 70mph. The vibration can be felt more so on the windshield than the dash but sounds like it is coming from the center or right of center under the dash. Any ideas??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am still looking for ideas...

·
Registered
564 Posts
I had what sounds like a similar problem in my 2011. I think what happens is the wind gets up under the rubber around the windshield causing it to vibrate. Would only happen for my at 70, and if there was a strong cross-wind coming from the passenger side of the truck. Never found the problem at the time, however, about a year later, I had to get my windshield replaced because it was broken, and the problem went away. the Windsheild tech mentions some gaps in the glue in the bottom corners.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I agree with DJOUSMA above. I had this problem on my old '01 F-350 after the windshield was replaced. Driving down the highway, I would get a "Kazoo" kind of sound. Drove me nuts trying to find it, as the trucks acoustics made it sound like it was coming from around the center of the dashboard.

Someone on this site suggested, as a test, putting Duct Tape over the windshield frame and gasket. Sure enough with the tape, the noise stopped. I then took a section of the tape off at a time, and went for another test drive to listen if the "Kazoo" came back. In a couple of attempts I was able to narrow it down to a 6 inch section of the windshield on the upper driver's side corner.

Went back to the Glass Shop, and showed them. Apparently the glass tech didn't clean out the old windshield caulk well enough, so that the new windshield was a couple of millimeters too high on the driver's side. The change in height was enough to cause the trim piece/gasket to vibrate at highway speed. Once the window was pulled and re-installed properly, the "Kazoos" were gone.

FYI -- If you want to do the same test, Don't Use Duct Tape! It leaves too much goop behind on your glass and paint. It took me several attempts to clean it all off. Use something like Blue Painter's Tape - it comes off easily and doesn't leave a residue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!!! It did turn out to be the weather strip on the windshield. Windshield replace and noise is gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts