The Diesel Stop banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,748 Posts
Gotcha - those new lines are ugly... Looks like a piece of fuel line with a clamp over it...

Well - that puts it back to the FPR. Did you have this issue before you went to the FRx? Maybe there is a machining defect in the block. Does the plunger move easily in the bore? Does the plunger seem to respond to finger pressure when the spring is behind it? Does it stick out far enough to engage the seat? Something isn't right there.

·
Premium Member
14,748 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Yes, the spring is installed as seen in the picture from Dieselorings.
I have pushed on the plunger with a screwdriver from inside the bowl with the filter removed. It takes considerable pressure to move it, and it returns to its position readily. I did think it a bit strange that it only moves about 1/8", but didnt think much of it. I will take some video of the FPR Tuesday morning if I can. I am confident we can figure out what is wrong if I keep taking it apart.

and yes, I did have this problem before I installed the FRX.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I can't see your second and third pictures too well of the "valve bodies"(not sure if that is the correct nomenclature either), but did you put an oring on the outside of it before re-installing it into the fuel bowl? I think I put one there when I did my bowl rebuild.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I can't see your second and third pictures too well of the "valve bodies"(not sure if that is the correct nomenclature either), but did you put an oring on the outside of it before re-installing it into the fuel bowl? I think I put one there when I did my bowl rebuild.
Yes, the rebuild kit came with a new one, and I have double checked to make sure I didn't forget to install it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ok, I just checked the Diesel O-ring sight and fuel bowl rebuild instructions. They are calling the "valve body" a "guide bushing" (for the fuel pressure relief poppit and seat), and it DOES get an o-ring on the outside....so if you don't have an o-ring there, then that is probably where your fuel is getting by....if you do have one...then I would check the condition of your fuel pressure relief poppit and seat.

·
Premium Member
14,748 Posts
I think if it were me, I'd call Bob Riley and get his input. Has to be something simple staring us all in the face.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think if it were me, I'd call Bob Riley and get his input. Has to be something simple staring us all in the face.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Did this guy ever solve his problem? Ive got a very similar problem. New pump and good fuel pressure at idle, can drive for 10 min with good fuel pressure 60 psi but then it gets to the point any throttle drops it to 0.

·
Super Moderator
25,495 Posts
Did this guy ever solve his problem? Ive got a very similar problem. New pump and good fuel pressure at idle, can drive for 10 min with good fuel pressure 60 psi but then it gets to the point any throttle drops it to 0.
Whether he solved his problem is immaterial. (You probably should have started a new thread, as this one is 7 years old).

Your good pressure initially, then dropping over time is a classic symptom of crud in the filter screens inside the tank. I'm assuming you're talking about a 7.3L diesel here. You'll need to drop the tank, remove the pickup unit and see what's up. The pickup foot may have disintegrated, or other nasty stuff got into the tank. Disassemble the white plastic housing on the pickup unit and you'll likely find clogged filters.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts