The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just installed a new Banks Sidewinder for my 7.3 IDI on my 1991 F350 dually crew cab with 90K miles. The last step is to disconnect the oil feed hose at the turbo (said hose is connected to a port into the oil galley aft of the oil filter (that's normally plugged) on the other end. I cranked for 15-20 seconds at a time between cooldowns, and never got oil coming out the hose end, even after about 6 tries. I then took the oil filter off, and checked the oil pressure regulator valve; it does not appear to be stuck open. Next, with a plastic jar where the filter should go, I cranked the engine 5 seconds, then 5 again, then 10. Total oil collection was about 3 tablespoons, which translates to something like 1/4 tbsp per engine revolution (@ a guessed 200 RPM) This may well explain why I am not getting oil coming out of a 30" braided oil hose. My questions are "What kind of oil volume should I expect when cranking?", and "Has anybody with experience installing the Sidewinder had the same result?". I know this engine has a "high volume, low pressure" oil pump, but I have concerns that mine may be "low volume", as a Banks tech support advisor told me the usual experience is oil coming out the hose after 5 or 6 seconds of cranking.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
What kind of oil pressure did you have when it was running?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea, other than it met Ford specifications, so there pressure switch told the idiot gauge to go where it should to indicate "Normal". I have heard from others on the Ford-Trucks forum, and it appears to be normal for the pumps to not build pressure until a few seconds of the engine running. I don't think the "low pressure, high volume" pumps in these old trucks do much until the RPMs are much higher than cranking produces. I went ahead, put everything back together, injected oil into the turbo and the oil line with a giant syringe, fired it up, and everything is working just fine. Now I need to improve the soundproofing, as the Banks instructions had me remove it from the firewall, and, damn, but this truck is loud inside now!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts