The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I change my oil yesterday and took a sample to send off to Blackstone. I was also going to install my new pressure gauge sender above the filter but the diameter of the sender was slightly too large and hit the webbing where I have the red arrow pointed. I was thinking about getting a 45* street fitting to give me the available clearance. Is there a better idea or different location allowing me to use the gauge I already bought?
C90F7501-6D7F-4F6F-BDC6-E3E281C2601B.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
25,641 Posts
The hose idea is good. You can also use whatever fittings you need on that port to reposition the sensor on the engine. Hopefully a 45 street elbow won't also hit the web as you attempt to tighten it.

·
Premium Member
9,063 Posts
A short nipple may solve all the problems

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Indeed. All very good suggestions- thank you.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A short nipple may solve all the problems
Follow up. I bought a 1/8” npt closed nipple and coupling. Put together snug and screwed into oil filter housing, started engine but had a small weeping drip between the two steel fittings that I could not get rid of and did not want to keep tightening, and putting too much force into the aluminum filter housing. Manufacturer of the gauge does not want Teflon tape or thread sealant used and wants a clean metal to metal fit between sender and engine block for a stable ground. I took it off and put in the vice using another fnpt fitting and really cranked the sender and the two steel fittings down tight, and put a tack with the mig welder between the nipple and coupling. Screwed back snugly into the aluminum filter housing and no leaks:). Had the engine running and put my hand on the sender, really don’t notice much if any vibration so I think I’m good to go. Did find one of my exhaust leaks though but that will be another thread.

B456AA3B-F49F-426A-9905-B0969BB7ECB0.jpeg
992B6E1D-705F-4038-9BE5-472CDE128C8B.jpeg

Reactions: bugman

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Already changed it out! OCD can be a good thing :cautious: I guess, I really detested the looks of that LED gauge I bought. So I got another one, analog style from Summit Racing and while I was at it they had a really nice relocation hose kit with braided stainless steel and 3000 psi. There’s not a lot of room inside the frame channel across from the oil filter but a 5” long 5/8” dia. bolt with an extra nut screwed down against the shoulder, and the bolt head welded to a homemade clamp made from a piece of pipe bumped the sender farther out in the open away from the brake and fuel lines. There was already an existing factory hole in the frame by the wheel well. Plus the analog gauge is a lot easier on the eyes while night driving and more closely matches the stock gauges (Installed it in the shield right below the stock temp. gauge in the dash cluster)
F4681418-A152-42BB-81EF-BAFB4C4DC61F.jpeg
5EE1CA47-AEA1-4B91-A449-7994C4A4EB4E.jpeg
5F22136B-C646-42CD-943B-8DE19F4690AE.jpeg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts