The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing the front cover on my 7.3 (T444E) in my International 4700. ,95 model year engine. Oil pump on the crank has no markings to indicate which way to install the gear rotors. Anybody know how to determine the correct direction to install them with out the markings?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems there is a possibility I have an after market melling pump that has no wrong way to install it. Going to count the teeth tomorrow. Melling supposedly has way less teeth on it than the OEM pump. Can anybody confirm this?

·
Registered
783 Posts
I would ask the people I bought it from which way it goes. If they couldn't tell me, I'd ask for a refund.

You're putting your front cover at risk - a $300 part and a LOT of work to change it, not to mention towing charges. A new pump is only $100 and relatively easy to install.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I don't buy many oil pumps, but the last Melling I bought whined like an over-stressed PTO pump. I took it back to O'Reillys, got a refund, and bought a Ford part.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clarification.
I am replacing the front cover due to the previous owner not clocking the oil cooler properly after replacing the O rings. This caused to much stress on the lower bolt ear of the front cover resulting in a crack. Absolutely no signs of wear on the oil pump or front cover with 308k miles, no idea if it is the original pump. Counted the teeth and seems to be an International part.

New front cover from International supposed to be here tomorrow but the crank bearings will not be here until Tuesday. Already replaced rod bearings then checked crank and had copper showing. New water pump, front engine mount and oil pan, it was cracking at the baffle spot welds.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
Clarification.
I am replacing the front cover due to the previous owner not clocking the oil cooler properly after replacing the O rings. This caused to much stress on the lower bolt ear of the front cover resulting in a crack.
Never heard of this one ..Its easy to turn by hand .

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to put one end in a vice and a big pipe wrench on the other end to clock it right. They must have used some kind of gasket sealer on the O-rings. The PO also used clear silicone on the reusable O-ring gaskets.

Could not figure the pump out so I bought a new one from IH. As far as I know the old one was the original with 300k+ miles. The original can be installed either way. The new one however has a machined recess for the harmonic dampener on one side only of the inner gear-rotor.

Oil pressure at idle when hot is up 5+ pounds. So the new rod and crank bearings made quite a difference.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I had to put one end in a vice and a big pipe wrench on the other end to clock it right. They must have used some kind of gasket sealer on the O-rings. The PO also used clear silicone on the reusable O-ring gaskets.

Could not figure the pump out so I bought a new one from IH. As far as I know the old one was the original with 300k+ miles. The original can be installed either way. The new one however has a machined recess for the harmonic dampener on one side only of the inner gear-rotor.

Oil pressure at idle when hot is up 5+ pounds. So the new rod and crank bearings made quite a difference.

I would install new o-rings if I were you. There's no better time than right now, and the old ones are likely damaged. But it sounds as though you already put it back together - lets hope the o-rings hold!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts