The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to diesel trucks. Just bought my first 1997 Ford f-350 7.3 turbo powerstroke. It has 279000 miles on it and is 2wd.
I show about 9 volts on my gauge at first turn of the key. It takes a good minute to go up to the mid way on my gauge. I have had the batteries and alternator tested passed with flying colors. Replaced the serpentine belt, replaced bad battery terminals but had no effect.
Does anyone have an idea of what to check from here?
Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Welcome!

Basically that is totally normal. Even though the Wait-to-Start light goes out, the glowplugs are still active. They will run for about 1.5 minutes (and then you will see the gauge kick back up). The WTS light is basically a "courtesy reminder" and has nothing to do with how long the GPs are drawing current. Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is my first diesel ever so I'm learning. thank you very much. It is a relief to know there is nothing wrong with my truck. Thanks again!:thup:

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
If you try to start it before the glow plugs cycle off, right after the WTS light goes off, does it crank at normal speed and does the engine start?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The glowplugs draw about 150A when first energized and that figure drops gradually a little until they turn off in a minute or two. Volts will obviously drop during this period, as even when running the truck is drawing more power than the alternator is supplying. I'm not sure of the 9v figure though, that seems a little low. 10v is more in the line of what I would expect, but unless you are actually using a decent meter, all you know is volts drop, and most likely what you are seeing is normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts