The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the transmission fluid and filter change a week ago I don’t believe it ever had been is this a bad thing seems fine

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
What year truck?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s a 2001 f250 7.3 196.000 miles the OG owner had the transfer case done I thought I had seen the transmission done but I was wrong so what you think

·
Premium Member
14,983 Posts
It's a good thing you finally did it. Now, do it again next oil change and the one after that until you pull the pan and have cherry red fluid and nothing on the magnet. Then switch to every 15-20k intervals. Transmissions like clean fluid...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the help yeah I didn’t think it would harm it the OG owner had to ok really good care of the truck

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
What brand and type of ATF did you use?

Congrats on your new truck 👍

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
When I first got mine I did the complete flush and new filter/screen. After that I have just swapped out what stays in the pan every couple of oil changes which if I recall is about 6 quarts.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Transtar is not a typical ATF discussed on these 4R100 forums and so there is no real user experience to be found.

I will research it a bit more but some of the compatibility concern would be WHICH Transtar ATF was used of their product line:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Of the three Transtar ATF products listed, I would guess your mechanic is using the Mercon labeled.

Transtar does not manufacture or blend their own lubricants. They purchase bulk at a discount and re-label it with their brand. The question becomes are they just buying the cheapest fluid on the market or are they buying the bulk fluid that has the best analysis? I have read they are buying based on least expensive and offers the highest markup.

Popular brands on 4R100 forums are typically Mobil-1 and Valvoline. These companies manufacture and blend their own products and have high user ratings. Ofcourse, another top quality option is the Motocraft brand of Mercon-V. Ford does not manufacture this ATF; however, they insist it meets very specific properties that are best suited for their transmissions.

Do you intend to do work on your own 7.3 or find it more advantageous to have a shop do the work? No right or wrong answer.

I mean no disrespect towards your mechanic choosing Transtar. I am guessing he services many types of Transmissions and finds the Transtar does the job.

But our 4R100 Transmission is around 20 years old and about $4K to replace. For that reason, I would suggest budgeting for another pan drain & fill within the next 5,000 miles and using one of the following ATF fluids:

1) Genuine Motorcraft Mercon-V (corrected)
2) Mobil-1 Multi-Vehicle ATF
3) Valvoline Dex/Merc (Blue Jug)
4) Valvoline Max-Life ATF (least expensive option).

I would also perform Mark Kovalsky’s ATF Flush Procedure if doing the work myself (or does he go by Mike nowadays? 😉).
If taking it to a mechanic, then getting on RT’s rotation schedule would be good.

My own preference if I relied on a Mechanic would be to find a shop that specializes specifically in Ford Powerstrokes. They have learned the unique peculiarities or requirements of our Vintage.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Oh good lord I thought this was going to be one of those HPOP oil reservoir oil change type threads! I am curious about recommending Motorcraft Mercon LV for a 4R100 transmission as it has not been approved for use in that transmission. I am not so much objecting as I am wondering if anyone is actually using Mercon LV in a 4R100 transmission and if there were any issues as a result.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
I had roughly the same mileage as the OP when I bought my (new to me) truck. I did the full flush procedure and changed the filter in the pan, a/t fluid was very dark and a putrid odor.

At the very least I think it would be a good idea for the OP to check the coolant (cooler) flow rate, which would verify the coolant circuit is flowing correctly, and by disconnecting the return line at the back of the 4R100 the OP could easily verify that the by-pass valve is functioning, or whether it needs to be rebuilt. That’s how I discovered mine was bad (a/t fluid all over the floor :cautious: ) If II remember correctly, I had asked Mark, and he confirmed that there would be no other signs or way of knowing during normal driving if the by-pass was bleeding through and cracking open at a lower pressure than it is suppose to.

·
Super Moderator
11,891 Posts
I would suggest budgeting for another pan drain & fill within the next 5,000 miles and using one of the following ATF fluids:

1) Genuine Motorcraft Mercon LV
This is very, very bad advice. I predict many transmissions are going to fail because of this.

MERCON LV CANNOT be used in a 4R100. It will kill it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Of the three Transtar ATF products listed, I would guess your mechanic is using the Mercon labeled.

Transtar does not manufacture or blend their own lubricants. They purchase bulk at a discount and re-label it with their brand. The question becomes are they just buying the cheapest fluid on the market or are they buying the bulk fluid that has the best analysis? I have read they are buying based on least expensive and offers the highest markup.

Popular brands on 4R100 forums are typically Mobil-1 and Valvoline. These companies manufacture and blend their own products and have high user ratings. Ofcourse, another top quality option is the Motocraft brand of Mercon. Ford does not manufacture this ATF; however, they insist it meets very specific properties that are best suited for their transmissions.

Do you intend to do work on your own 7.3 or find it more advantageous to have a shop do the work? No right or wrong answer.

I mean no disrespect towards your mechanic choosing Transtar. I am guessing he services many types of Transmissions and finds the Transtar does the job.

But our 4R100 Transmission is around 20 years old and about $4K to replace. For that reason, I would suggest budgeting for another pan drain & fill within the next 5,000 miles and using one of the following ATF fluids:

1) Genuine Motorcraft Mercon LV
2) Mobil-1 Multi-Vehicle ATF
3) Valvoline Dex/Merc (Blue Jug)
4) Valvoline Max-Life ATF (least expensive option).

I would also perform Mark Kovalsky’s ATF Flush Procedure if doing the work myself (or does he go by Mike nowadays? 😉).
If taking it to a mechanic, then getting on RT’s rotation schedule would be good.

My own preference if I relied on a Mechanic would be to find a shop that specializes specifically in Ford Powerstrokes. They have learned the unique peculiarities or requirements of our Vintage.
I’m going to be working on the truck as I learn more and more and I do appreciate the notes and I will take the advice and do another change asap

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
This is very, very bad advice. I predict many transmissions are going to fail because of this.

MERCON LV CANNOT be used in a 4R100. It will kill it.
Its bad enough to make the first mistake of my life and in front of others but even worse to be called on it by an ME. 😂

·
Super Moderator
26,160 Posts
Its bad enough to make the first mistake of my life and in front of others but even worse to be called on it by an ME. 😂
Truth be told, I've probably called you on a mistake before and I'm an ME too. ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts