The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 40 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Rob,

I'm using the Mobil 1 full synth ATF on my change now, Amazon has the best deal, 56.00 for 6 quarts or 9.33 a quart. I bout the sale fluid a week ago and it was 59.00.

Be sure to drain your torque converter plug and clean your magnet on the bottom of the pan.

They make a nice deep pan for the 7.3 4r100, it's 124.00 and very popular. Has a drain plug on the bottom and ports for a trans sender unit, Two ounces shy of 8 quarts over stock. (7qts 30oz). [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Derale-14208-Transmission-Cooling-and5R110W/dp/B004XONSX0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1432663062&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=7.3L+deep+transmission+pan+Derale+4r100[/ame]

·
Super Moderator
11,684 Posts
They make a nice deep pan for the 7.3 4r100, it's 124.00 and very popular. Has a drain plug on the bottom and ports for a trans sender unit, Two ounces shy of 8 quarts over stock.
Other than a lighter wallet, what are the benefits of a deeper pan? I can't come up with a single one. It's not going to cool the fluid. It will take longer to heat up, but by the same method it will take longer to cool, too. So what have you gained? They do look pretty cool.

And I can't come up with a worse place to put the temp sender, either. Reading the pan temp will ALWAYS give you the coldest temperature anywhere in the transmission. The pan temp can lag a heated up transmission by quite a bit of time, and a large amount of temperature.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I was just about to add that transmission pan to my cart on Amazon until I read your comments Mark...

in the description it says it lowers the temperature is 20 to 50 deg, if that's true that's a plus. I would assume having more transmission fluid would make for longer service intervals...?
I read my transmission temperature from my torque pro app. so I wouldn't bother with adding a mechanical temp gauge to that pan.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
If getting cooler temps was the goal, I might get a better cooler, than a deeper pan, like Mark said... And then add the spin-on filter kit from Dieselsite while you're at it, also before getting a deeper pan. (Besides, if you increase the capacity of the trans, you'll have to change the trans flush instructions to account for that...!)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

I got two rear doors off CL last night for $42
When i get pop out glass from the junk yard I'll install the doors... a little extra ventilation never hurts.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
First of all the turbo blanket is a waste of money it will NEVER get that hot unless you run Stage 1 Injectors....Everything Mark K. says is true....As far as the resonator goes you need a 2" PVC /ABS pipe about 3 " long with the corresponding Cap...you glue it together and Install it... Te hood scoop idea is retarded....Unless you Install a true Cold Air Intake you are wasting Money and Time...If you want my drawings PM me your email and I will send them to you....

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
what kind of drawings?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
down here in sunny Florida, I think releasing the trapped in heat under the hood is a very good idea to hopefully prevent premature aging of the softer materials. besides for 10 bucks it might look pretty cool

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
It is like 4 pages.....And I send them original so ....can you handle the download ?

·
Registered
635 Posts
A number of years back, I noted what I considered HIGH transmission Temp's 200*+, while returning home from a trip to 29 Palms, Calif. pulling my travel trailer.
The claim up hill from 2300ft to 4800ft in Aug. with ambient temp's at 110*+ can be murder on a transmission.
This occurred at around 50k miles, I changed trans. fluid and replaced the Trans Pan with a PIM Aluminum pan with drain plug. I used Rotela Synthetic Trans Fluid as replacement fluid.
As Mark said a waist of money except for the Drain plug feature.
The real solution to my Transmission heating problem was the installation of a TRU-COOL 4739 trans. cooler, That was about 6 years ago.
Sense the installation of the cooler under the most extreme ambient heat condition's even over 125*, I have never seen my Trans temp go over 200* Pulling my wagon or not.
I installed the Tru-cool in the loop with the Radiator trans cooler, Factory Trans cooler, then onto the down end leg.
Transmission temp's are no longer an issue on this vehicle.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Rob,

Here is a great free website ( https://www.mediafire.com/ ) to upload pdf files, photos etc. up to 10 GB I think it is. It's an easy sign-up, here is my fuel tank pdf to show you what it looks like. This way we can all see your drawings. INST367-W

Nash, good to see you again, I just bought the TRU-COOL 4739 trans. cooler for my van and it's going in soon. When you left your original trans cooler in the front did the new 40k cooler come close to the plastic grille?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Van:
No, I located the Tru-Cool'er in the lower part of the grill area. There is room.
I looked for an area to mount the cooler where ALL air cooled equipment would be served equally....
Play around with the mounting location there is room there.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'll see what I can do

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Function before fashion!

the white silicone I used was to fill between the two layers of the hood to prevent dirt and water becoming a later problem.

finished product ACTUALLY WORKS, I can feel the heat rising out of the two vents... not a little breeze but massive amounts of hot air.
And it only cost me $10 with free shipping! took me about 30 mins. SO easy not worrying about cutting the hood. This was essentially a test run, I hope to find a stock white hood that doesn't have the emblem in it. Then I'll do this again!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I'm saving for a pair of trucklite LED's...
I won't bother with anything else at this point.
But thanks for the thought!
As for tail lights, I might do theLED Recons but not really a concern as I have added a second bulb to the top portion that Ford skipped putting a bulb in. SO I actually have all 4 sections working and Very bright.

21 - 40 of 289 Posts