The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this up a while back on another forum, and it recieved some positive response. So, I thought I'd post it up over here, too.

HEY MOD'S: Maybe you can make this a "sticky"?

There is a special tool to "correctly" remove the HPOP lines. The lines and fittings are made by Aeroquip and are called STC connectors (for "Snap To Connect).

You can remove them with a screw driver, but it's a pain-in-the-butt usually, and you take a chance of damaging the connector (hose-end).

I made my own tool after taking dimensions off of a "factory" STC tool. It's pretty straight-forward, if you have access to, and are able to do some simple metal fabrication.

Here is a sketch and a couple of pic's of the tool I made:

One thing I did not mention in the sketch is to go over the slotted area with a small file or emery cloth and debur all of the edges very good.

If you have access to a milling maching, you could also mill the slot (which is actually what I did on this tool), but the "hole & saw" method works quite well also.

Here's a little info on the Aeroquip STC connector.

Once the lines are off, you can remove the fitttings from the pump (and heads) and replace the o-rings. The pump side fittings use a -906 (that's a "dash 906" size) and the head fittings use a -905 size ring.

Once the fittings are installed back into the pump and/or heads, just snap the hoses back into the fittings.

It don't get much easier than that!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Epic drawling. Really, good detail. Ill draw it up for you in auto cad. PM your email.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Thanks, good tip. I am going to change my o-rings soon and can make and use that tool rather than buy one.

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
A video of how to disconnect them!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey All,
For some reason, I can not see the pictures or drawings that you all have posted here. I need to change the HPOP riungs, and would like to get as much info and the drawing of the tool so I can get this done. If you have the drawing for the tool in ACAD, please send it to me, and if not, send me the picture of what you have, and I will put it ACAD and post it for everyone.

Regards,
Mark

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Since we can't book mark threads as in days of old can we get this one to be added to the FAQs ?? This is really cool even if we are not yet in need of it...in time some of us will be!

Thank you for the excellent ideas, pics and drawing....

C-man

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
Since we can't book mark threads as in days of old can we get this one to be added to the FAQs ?? This is really cool even if we are not yet in need of it...in time some of us will be!

Thank you for the excellent ideas, pics and drawing....

C-man
It is in the 7.3L Engine and Drive-train FAQ area

·
Registered
56 Posts
hpop tool

I've borrowed the ford dealership's master mechanic's hpop tool, twice, and it had an offset to it that is as important as the end of the tool. helps to get around things. put it in a vice and make a 1/2" offset a half inch after the fork. good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
FYI, most of the time I use the little double ended collet wrench that came with my air die grinder. It works perfect.:thup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts