The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 F-350 4-Wheel drive Dually. It has "manual locking hubs". On the hubs, there is an "auto" and the "manual" positions. It is and was on "auto".

What is the difference and why are there both settings on the hubs?

Thanks.

John.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Auto is just that, unlocked until you turn the switch for 4x4.
Manual is just like the oldschool hubs being locked.
This should be in the owners manual...
Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Snowing a blizzard out there today...and supposed to go through Monday. Garage is about 220 feet from the house. Truck in garage. Manual in truck. Manual will stay in the truck until summer. ;)

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Snowing a blizzard out there today...and supposed to go through Monday. Garage is about 220 feet from the house. Truck in garage. Manual in truck. Manual will stay in the truck until summer. ;)
Love it! Since you are hunkered down today you should point your web browser to https://owner.ford.com register and log in. Then you can enter your VIN and see your owners manual on line. There are other great features on the Ford Owner website. ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
So what if I replace factory hubs with WARN premium manual hubs. Would I be wasting my $$$?

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
So what if I replace factory hubs with WARN premium manual hubs. Would I be wasting my $$$?

If your truck has ESOF (electronic shift on the fly), then maybe your money is wasted. Some don't like the ESOF hubs and they don't care if they need to get out the truck.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Manual hubs have a few advantages. If you want to back in a trailer, put the truck in 4X4 low and unlock the front hubs. This makes backing a lot easier on your auto tranny and makes you look like a pro. The other advantage of having the hubs manual locked is when you shift the ESOF to 4x4 you do not have to wait for the hubs to lock up by vacuum. If you do go to manual hubs make sure you block off the vacuum nipple on the hub and the lines. I lock mine in Oct and unlock in April.
DENNY

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
I think it depends on your particular needs.

I was initially skeptical of an ESOF after always having had WARNS but my three different ESOF have all worked great after replacing 4’ of vacuum hose (2’ at each front wheel).

In AK, road conditions remain fairly equal...if there is snow, ice covered road then its everywhere.

In the West, you might have snow at one elevation and not another. You might have dry pavement on south facing slopes and snow elsewhere.

I have come to enjoy my ESOF.

Its like asking which hammer you should buy. You choose the best tool for your particular job.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I have always had manual transfer case in my F350's. If I did get ESOF, I would make sure to use it every few weeks even in the summer (just shift in and out a few times when driving on a straight road). Kind of a use it or loose it type of thing. Also good to know if you have a problem before the winter hits. The downside of leaving manual hubs locked all the time is you do take a small hit on MPG. It is like ArcticDriver said depends on the your needs.

DENNY

·
Registered
81 Posts
All good- I am in Pac NW but frequent AK. I have never had an issue turning in my hubs BEFORE I needed to. I have forgotten them but the steering is heavier and I notice that.
All being said I will replace with WARN premiums.
My advice that on the 1st of the month you run manual hubs in for at least 10 miles, That is also when I get the grease gun out but these new ones don't have all the old ones did!!
always ran DELO is that still good for the 6.7's? really don't want that many different oils around, got those synthetic stuff for the wifes explorer and my commuter. I like DELO for my 7.3, Bronco and tractors.
where have all the people gone there used to be many more on this site?

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
I am of the opinion that if you are somewhere with snow that requires 4x4 then synthetic oil is going to offer real advantage over dino.

DELO is a high quality HDEO.

I admire your grease schedule.

I just run my ESOF for a short distance in the summer. My only purpose is to splash some gear oil around and confirm the ESOF transfer case functions. Unfortunately, I keep finding PSDs with no manual transfer case.

I don’t know where everyone has gone.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Artic
I had to look long and hard to find a low mile 99 with manual transfer case, even longer if you want a six speed also. I finally went with a auto tranny one I found. I prefer six speed myself and wife drives it fine, but every now and then I have to loan the truck out and the clutch takes a real beating. The auto will be easier for the non clutch guests. When this tranny needs rebuild I will spend the money for all the good stuff. When I do a brake job or check spindle bearings I will usually soak my manual hubs in a bath of AMSOIL ATF for about a half hour, drain and stick them back in. My last truck had 385,000 on it and factory hubs turned better than new.
DENNY

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
Denny,

I remember reading your ATF soak suggestion last summer.

That practice shoukd work equally well for ESOF hubs, shouldn’t it?

I sure prefer knowing my transfer case position with a manual shift and I just can’t get used to trucks that don’t have a gear lever or two on the floor hump...especially in the mountains.

·
Super Moderator
25,077 Posts
...but every now and then I have to loan the truck out and the clutch takes a real beating.
I sure hope you're not talking about me, Denny. :grin2: You've been gracious enough to loan me your previous 6 speed rig when mine had issues, and I sure appreciate that. I've only gone thru 3 or is it 4 clutches on my truck, (I swear that at least 2 of them weren't my fault) but I've sworn off drag racing now. :winking:

That practice shoukd work equally well for ESOF hubs, shouldn’t it?
I'm not sure the ATF soak would be good for ESOF hubs since they have a vacuum diaphragm in them. Don't know if ATF would affect that. Maybe put them adjuster knob down in a shallow pan of ATF so it lubes the adjuster knob o-rings. That's usually what stiffens up on manual hubs.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Kevin
You are one of the few I don't worry about!

Artic
Not sure on the auto hubs, I would do them like Kevin says.

DENNY

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for this new info. Ill use the site to track our new truck...hopefully. When does the info start to show up? When a Vin Number is assigned, or after delivery?
Thanks
Bill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts