The Diesel Stop banner

MAX BOOST 13.2 PSI WHAT'S WRONG?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Down South 
#1 ·
I JUST RECENTLY BOUGHT THIS TRUCK AND IT SOUNDS LIKE IT IS NOT BOOSTING AS HIGH AS OTHER TRUCKS. THE MOST I HAVE EVER SEEN IS 13.2 PSI. WHATS THE PROBLEM? I CAN'T HEAR ANY OBVIOUS LEAKS.

#2 ·
Welcome to TDS.

First off lets make sure you are getting enough fuel. Have you checked/changed your fuel filter recently? Same thing with the air filter.

If you are not familiar with the fuel filter procedure poke here.

If fuel is not the problem try this.

First off,

Go to a hardware store and build this.

Then follow these instructions to the letter. Thanks to Dieselsite (Bob) for the information.

"<font color="990000">SPECIAL NOTE: Got a boost leak you can't find? Assemble a kit similar to the one shown above and attach it to the turbo inlet. Make sure it's clamped tight. Set the regulator on your air compressor to 20 psi. Slowly open the valve and let the air into the turbo. If you have a leak, no matter how small, it will be come apparent in a second or two. Do not keep the turbo pressurized for more than 30 seconds at a time as you are spinning the turbo with no fresh oil circulating. You'd be amazed just how small of a leak you can quickly locate with this method</font>."

I chased boost leaks for almost a month. This procedure found all three in 10 minutes. It is just too hard to hear or feel a leak with the engine running. A spray bottle with soapy water will help also.

Last, please turn off your caps lock. All caps is considered yelling around here.

Hope this helps,

Tom

#3 ·
Check for leaks on the turbo and intercooler piping where the boots clamp on. Many times this is the cause of a low boost problem.

#4 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Check for leaks on the turbo and intercooler piping where the boots clamp on. Many times this is the cause of a low boost problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other guys took care of the clean side of the turbo system.

You should also look at the dirty (exhaust) side. The up-pipes between the exhaust manifolds and turbo inlet wye sometimes leak and cause low boost. If there isn't pressure on the exhaust wheel, the compressor wheel won't develop boost. Crawl underneath and look for black soot around the up-pipe area. You may have to change the donuts.

#5 ·
WELCOME to TDS MOTOXR,, Like they all said. You need FUEL and AIR so make sure all filters are clean and sealed good. check all the rubber boots under the hood. For tight seals.
Also..a friendly reminder for internet usage...ALL CAPS signifies yelling sort of..and really is more difficult to read for most people. Please use normal font. It is easier on the eyes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
Another question,, how do you read tenths on your boost gauge? LOL Mine is not nearly that accurate. Do you have a digital one?

#6 ·
Sorry about the caps. I will start checking everything today. I have the digital gauges that have a max memory so I can recall what my max readings were. Thanks for the help.

#7 ·
Since you are using the X-Monitor I would check the tubing connections. I have had leaks there that caused low boost readings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.