The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
New to the forum, diesels (aside from an 03 golf tdi which I don't believe counts), and towing.
The wife and I are in the market for a fifth wheel, about 15k lbs loaded. My initial thought was to go find an older F-350 to keep the budget in check. Seems like everyone and their brother is towing the largest trailers out there with F350's of all ages, so no-brainer.
What I'm running into rather simply and quickly is that the GCVWR on an ~01 F350 is 20k lbs. Curb weight on the truck is about 6800, which only leaves 13200 for the trailer, even before a person gets in the truck (not to mention fuel, more passengers, gear, and everything else). So with that in mind, before I even start looking at pin weights, gvwr, gawr, etc etc etc, this tow vehicle is a no-go.
Am I looking at these numbers right? I know people are towing above those recs all day long, but as a first timer I don't want to get into that territory. This has me now looking at 11+ F350s (as the 6.0 and 6.4 seem like engines to avoid), but the budget sure just went way up to do so.
I guess my most basic question here is- if I want to tow a 15k fifth wheel, are 05+ F350's the only way to do it and keep within the rec'd numbers?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Do what you are comfortable doing. the 7.3 350 will pull that fifth wheel no problem. The 6.0 isn't that bad. Just expensive to get right and expensive to keep right. Just my .2

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Depending on what state you live in, how much weight in the truck can get you into trouble.

Combined weight rating is one consideration. Pin weight sitting on the rear axle is another. Figure that 20% of the fivers weight is on the pin. So you should weigh your truck with everything you would have in the truck including people, gear and fuel. Look at the rear axle weight rating, and subtract the scale number. What's left over is the legal limit. If you don't have a hitch, subtract that too.

If you get pulled over and weighed, the rear axle is the first thing looked at. If your over, they can impound the RV right there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts