The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
7.3l And 6.0l I recommend 3-4,000 on oil changes for longer injector life. no more than 50k on trans. or don't do it 12,-15,000 on fuel filters and run motorcraft filters in fords for best results. Ford cap on 6.0 and 6.4 oil filters it can be reused but only if it is a ford cap ec-781 6.0l
3-4K on an oil change is throwing good oil away with these truck and money!
5-7 K. Don't just throw oil away for the heck of it, it's 13 qt not 5.
No matter how you drive that truck your not going to beat that oil down in 3-4 k plus you have the filters, the environment, and the time involved. Go by the book.

·
Premium Member
14,492 Posts
The 6.0 and 7.3 use 15 quarts for an oil and filter change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
820 Posts
It should be good on the rust issue being a southern truck like I said mine is clean. As long a it did not live right on the beach.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
ok so things are taking a 180* turn. lol. Getting the wife a 07 SAAB convertible and now I am freer to choose the best rig i can for the money.

So without starting a riot, this is what i am looking for.

Best diesel engine in the 2000's (7.3, 6.0, ect...) and why you think it is the best.

seating for min. 5 to max 7 (2 older boys will be leaving the nest soon so realistically need seating for 5)

Towing capacity of at least 10k and looking to double tow starting in 2018 (camper, 25 to 30' and dry weight of 6 to 8k, the pulling boat weight of 4500#)

This truck will not be getting a lot of miles (est. 8 to 12k per year)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I recomend 99-03 7.3 powerstroke for overall reliability. Has good power and f250 and f350 will haul over 10,000 lbs the 4 door seats 6 comfortable with a huge back seat. Like i said before its hit and miss with the newer trucks with the 6.0 and 6.4 engine. There is alot of documented issues with those trucks that can cost alot of $$. Even if you bought a 7.3 with 350,000 miles i would still trust it. Weak leak is the transmissions so keep an eye on it or try to grab you one with a standard transmission.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ok have it narrowed down to the truck I want, a 2002 Excursion 7.3l, 212,000 miles and a southern truck all its life. A minor sideswipe accident back in 2012 with no air bag deployment. Majority of services were performed at a Ford dealer. Asking $14999, I see KBB and NADA vary greatly in value. $8117 and $13350.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ok have it narrowed down to the truck I want, a 2002 Excursion 7.3l, 212,000 miles and a southern truck all its life. A minor sideswipe accident back in 2012 with no air bag deployment. Majority of services were performed at a Ford dealer. Asking $14999, I see KBB and NADA vary greatly in value. $8117 and $13350.
You will like the truck. Going through a dealer i payed 12,000 for mine it had some issues no accidents (reported... it has defiantly been in an accident when i looked over it more... oh well.) 180K miles. Try to talk the price down a little but if they wont budge i would still consider it a good deal price is probably more expensive on the excursion then a pickup is my guess.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I guess the real question is value of truck???with KBB and NADA values $5000 apart, do I split the difference? Asking price is $14999.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thats the top end price. Deffinaty wouldn't pay more then that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have you considered a ford transit with a back seat?
Excellent family vehicle and lots of room in the back for lugging your stuff around.

Great for trips to the beach!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'd say look for an 02'-03 7.3 4x4 in the Lariat trim, or a 05 and newer 6.0 4x4 in lariat or KingRanch trim.

I suggest 4x4 bc you are up North and get snow.

For a 7.3 244k is like 50k for a gasser. The biggest concern again is the tranny, when you test drive it get it up to temp and drive it like you stole it, make sure to shift back and forth between forward and reverse a couple times. If she slips the least little bit work the price of a transmission rebuild into the deal.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts