The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Odd question but I brought my 2003 7.3 to local mechanic to get the glow plugs replaced as it was hard to start if below 60 deg F her in Northern Mn. Changed those as well as the gasket covers. Picked up a week after and right away the engine light is on and it ran rough without much power. Now, just to give some background, I did purchase the truck a year ago with everything noted in my sig except for the van turbo. I bought that, had it refurbished, and installed back in February of this year. No issues at all until I had this work done. Mechanic indicated that the codes were in regard to 1. No intake air temp 2. exhaust back pressure flap (no signal) 3. codes present in injector driver module. Couldn't tell me exactly what those codes were. Also indicated that the computer is seeing -40 deg temp when it's trying to start. Also, I took out the programmer so it was operating on stock mode, but that didn't change anything. Also, when it was 45+ degrees out earlier this past week, it was hard to start, almost the same condition as before I had the glow plugs installed. Anyway, i brought the truck to another mechanic whom has more knowledge and equipment in regard to the programming and he said he's never heard of this issue occurring and said that if he can't fix it, then he suggests putting the stock turbo back in. Based on common knowledge of the operating condition prior to this occurring, the van turbo swap would have nothing to do with this....Any assistance would be very much appreciated and my apologies for such a long write-up.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Did you did EBPV delete with non EBPV pedestal? That would explain the no signal to the EBPV.

For the AIT sensor, check on side of your air filter box, might be unplug
For the injector module code, im not the best to answer that but
I would start by following the wiring hardness to make sure all the connection are clip in properly and make sure all the turbo piping are correctly install and tighten

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
i bet its a bad connection at an injector or where the uvch hooks into the main harness.

did he use oem uvch or crappy dorman ones?

the turbo wouldnt cause any of the issues

·
Registered
84 Posts
The IDM codes are probly related to a wiring issue. Sounds much like it has to do with him changing the gaskets.... Which would make the truck run rough

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First issue fixed....still having starting problems.

Thanks all for your input. Initial issue was with the TS programmer. Sent the PCM down to PHP for a reflash or reset and ordered a hydra chip. Runs great now. New issue, which I guess was part of the initial issue with the cold start problems leading me to have new glow plugs and wiring harness installed is that when the temp is below 55 degrees or so, it won't start unless I cycle 3-4 times and even then it sometimes won't start. This was the issue I had from the start and now nothing has really changed. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Again, I did install a van turbo with EBPV delete, AFE intake, so perhaps there's sensor that wasn't plugged back in that may be causing the issue. Odd thing is, I did this back in March (in Duluth, Mn) and it started fine until the spring... Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I hate to state the obvious, but did you check for voltage on the output side of the gp relay?
I bought an Autozone relay with warranty and changed it 3 times in just over a year. I ended up doing the Stancor mod and has worked perfectly since. I also installed a led indicator so I know when I have power to the glow plugs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts