The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering a few things. I have a ford f250 2010 Harley Davidson model (my husband does). We recently were driving it along and it just poof turned off. Had been driving it around allll day and nothing gone wrong. Had it towed to dealership, said it may have been tampered with or we got bad gas somewhere. We contacted insurance they took awhile longer and now they are saying they will not cover because it is neither of those things. They said there is metal shavings in the fuel tank and that basically isnt there problem. I am just still scratching my head...how does this even happen? And why would the gas look "foggy" and not as clear as it is suppose to, and now they are saying it is because we have metal shavings?? Please help...or ask any other questions you may need answered if need be. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you posting in the correct forum sub-section? This is posted in a diesel 6.7L section of this forum A 2010 F250 won't have a 6.7L diesel engine. You mentioned bad gas and are you speaking about a diesel or gas engine?

In modern diesels:
Metal shavings typically is a sign that your high pressure fuel pump in the diesel's engine has failed. If dealership finds traces of water in fuel system as evidenced by rust on certain fuel system components, any warranty will be declined.

HPFP failure usually results from poor fuel lubricity which is a big USA diesel fuel problem and water in fuel. I don't think Ford's fuel filter's do a good job filtering out water in fuel though I personally drain my DFCM (fuel filter water separator) once a month to be safe. Not once have I found water in fuel. Despite this, I add a lubricity additive to the fuel and another additive that is supposed to help with water in fuel. A $12,000 to $18,000 repair to replace the entire fuel system is not something I can afford.

HPFP failure is not an uncommon issue with all diesel engines from tiny VW TDIs to larger diesel engines.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I believe the late '10 will have the 6.7.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you posting in the correct forum sub-section? This is posted in a diesel 6.7L section of this forum A 2010 F250 won't have a 6.7L diesel engine. You mentioned bad gas and are you speaking about a diesel or gas engine?

In modern diesels:
Metal shavings typically sign that your high pressure fuel pump in the diesel's engine that failed. If dealership finds traces of water in fuel system as evidenced by rust on certain fuel system components, any warranty will be declined.

HPFP failure is usually results from poor fuel lubricity which is a big USA diesel fuel problem and water in fuel. I don't think Ford's fuel filter's do a good job filtering out water in fuel though I personally drain my DFCM (fuel filter water separator) once a month to be safe. Not once have I found water in fuel. Despite this, I add a lubricity additive to the fuel and another additive that is supposed to help with water in fuel. A 12,000 to 18,000 repair to replace the entire fuel system is not something I can afford.

HPFP failure It is not an uncommon issue with all diesel engines from tiny VW TDIs to larger diesel engines.

@Drewd awesome. I am not sure if it is in the correct forum sub-section...new on here so not sure if I need to change it??... If it will help get me some more answers I can surely do that. I do greatly appreciate your quick and very informative response

·
Registered
564 Posts
I believe the late '10 will have the 6.7.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

MY 2011 was the first year of the 6.7L. they were indeed manufactured starting in late 2010. All MY 2010's were still the 6.4L.

·
Registered
259 Posts
MY 2011 was the first year of the 6.7L. they were indeed manufactured starting in late 2010. All MY 2010's were still the 6.4L.
Agreed!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If its a MY 2010--6.4L. MY 2011, yes, 6.7L
So, is it a '10 or an '11? Gas or diesel? Either way, with metal in the tank, sounds like a diesel and big problem.
Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts