The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the form here, I have been trying to diagnose a miss for a while now, I have 175/30 from MPD. Sent all 8 back to be tested and they found metal shavings in them. Going to drain the oil today, under valve covers appear to be okay. No shavings there, have to check oil and going to pull the IPR. Where should I begin to look. Oil filter looks okay have to look better at it today after work. They did rebuild them but don't want to have the same problem.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Possibly a failed HPOP screen letting stuff through.

You can send oil for analysis and the lab can tell you what kind of metal it is, which might help to pinpoint the problem. Try Blackstone Labs.

·
Registered
266 Posts
TKO is right. The first step would be determining what type of metal is in your oil. Send out a oil sample and have it tested.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took out the IPR, no metal in the screen, screen was pretty clean. Im not even sure if there is metal in my oil but the MPD claimed for metal shavings to be in the injectors I sent in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they said oil side, they said maybe oil cooler blowing apart. IPR was clean and I don't see metal, I'm not saying they're lying, but I'm starting to think they are just covering their ass for a reason why all 8 or atleast a majority of the injectors I got 5 months ago **** the bed.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I'd be curious to know whose injectors they are. MPD doesn't build injectors, so they're buying them from someone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They did build them, their injection team is Maryland Fuel Injection. I sent in my cores, they built them from my cores back in July. If there were no shavings in the IPR, do you think its safe to put the injectors in and run the truck. From what I understand, if there was metal in my oil, the IPR screen would've been filled with metal. Correct me if I am wrong I am no mechanic.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Take this for what its worth:

1.) You should never have injectors built on your cores. They should always be built on Ford remans. Ford holds very stringent standards for their injectors, and you know you are starting with a quality product. When you start with your cores they are going to be rebuilt to the extent that the injector builder feels is necessary. Some builders also cannot get all the parts for the injectors. Some builders don't even have flow equipment. Given the cost of injectors the 6.0 injector business is pretty lucrative, but you'll notice that builders that were around 2 years ago no longer exist. Why? Warranty claims and bad publicity killed them.

2.) The guys at Innovative know the guys at MPD very well. Innovative is selling RCD injectors now. Sure, there may be another reason, but Innovative tests a lot of products, especially injectors, and I've got to believe that they are selling the injectors with which they've had the best results and most success. I have about 10-15k on a set of RCD injectors and they are awesome. Way, way better than the Warrens they replaced, which after 2 years kept giving me problems. If I had to recommend a set of injectors to someone now I would say RCD and Full Force (Casserly) are the only ones I would recommend.

3.) Unless the metal in the oil is coming from the oil rails, then yes, I would conclude that if the IPR screen was okay then it should be okay. But, it begs the question: where did the metal come from? I'm going to say that the injectors didn't spontaneous generate it. Something's not stirring the Koolaide here my friend.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I hope you saved some of the oil to test!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
They like you to catch it in the middle of the drain to avoid contamination, but anything that can tell you what metals you are dealing with will help. Here is Blackstone's link: Blackstone Labs I test my oil at every oil change to try to find any problems early on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So thats my best option right now is to send it out? I need the truck back ASAP. What do you think could be the issue for the metal shavings. Last March I did the oil cooler and HPOP, and over the summer I did head gaskets, studs, all 8 injectors. The bolt for the coolant hose that goes to the front cover snapped so I had to drill it and retap it but I made sure no shavings got in the front cover but do you think that could've caused the problem? Where else should I look I can't afford to fix it if its a lifter.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Without analysis of the oil its a shot in the dark as to where the metal came from.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im not sure if this has anything to do with it but on the higher HP tunes, the truck would do this under WOT watch the video to hear the sound. Not sure if it could be the turbo maybe throwing metal shavings through the feed tube and back into the HPOP?

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
It would have to reverse the oil flow to do that, which I don't think is possible.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you have any idea what that noise in the video could've been. Also totally forgot which this may make a huge difference or no difference, when I did the head studs, one of the push rods wasn't seated correctly and bent on the first start up cylinder #5. Took it back apart and replaced that push rod, not sure if that would be a factor. The metal I found is non ferrous, and is almost like a stainless steel I doesnt look brass or copper like in color, and it may be but doesn't seem like aluminum.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be hearing in the video. Pinpointing sounds from videos is in my experience pretty tough. Can you describe it, and when its happening and I'll give it another listen?

If the metal's stainless steel I'm at a loss as to where its coming from.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Its almost like a screeching noise and only happens on one tune that I have its White Rain from WPE. Does it under WOT and will sometimes blow a CAC tube off the boot when it does it and power drops significantly. Has new Up-Pipes, CAC boots, and the metal intercooler tube instead of the plastic. Do you think the bent pushrod could be the reason for these shavings maybe it destroyed a lifter or something

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay so update, I strained the oil that I drained twice. Found no metal shavings. The only place that I found shavings was a few very small specs in the oil filter. The IPR was clean of any debris, and I took off the HPOP cover and saw no shavings. The truck runs good besides the miss that it has which was because of the injectors. Starts perfectly, even cold starts are good no issues starting in the cold not plugged in. My injectors are coming tomorrow, do you think it is safe to put it back together and I won't have the same issue as now. I find it hard to believe that my injectors were clogged with metal if the IPR was clean, there were no shavings in the oil I drained, and also about 2 months ago (a little less than that) I sent back just 2 injectors that I thought were bad, and MPD said nothing about metal they said one had a bad solenoid and one was fine. I just don't want to have the same issue, but as of now I see no reason for the issue to reoccur, what are your thoughts? I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me, not a master mechanic here so any help is great. Is there any way to safely clean out the oil rails before installing just to be safe?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts