The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bad tire problem i wanted to post on here..i have a 2016 f350 6.7 that had 29700 miles,Michelin tires on it when i bought it new.It threw the center,entire rubber, off the tire going 65 mph.Fortunately,the very center of the tire core was still holding air so i limped home about 12 miles.I then,went and put 4 new coopers on..my tire size is 275 65 R20..i will NEVER own a michelin tire again..

·
Registered
533 Posts
Seriously you got 297,000 miles on a set of tires?
Next how many real miles on the tire?
Finely tires are good and bad. You could have had the same problem with any tire. I am impressed that after it threw the tread you were still able to drive 12 miles and the tire still had air.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
...i will NEVER own a michelin tire again..
Why? One tire failed and you are ready to abandon an outstanding tire brand? With 29,700 miles of use it seems that the failure was not necessarily caused by a defect but it's possible. Not saying it's your fault however the failure could have been caused by damage, improper inflation and overloading. Just sayin.

·
Super Moderator
26,385 Posts
Seriously you got 297,000 miles on a set of tires?
That would be pretty awesome, but he said a bit under 30K miles when the tire failed.

I've run Cooper tires since my truck need the first set replaced. I've had one failure that they warrantied, and that doesn't deter me from using them again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had Michelins on every vehicle I've owned at one time or another over the last 40 years. Usually get between 75K and 90K with rotations every oil change or 5K miles whichever comes 1st. No failures at all. Currently on my 03 F350 SRW King Ranch I have General grabbers and they do just fine so far. 265-75R18E. $1400 for a set of Michelins for this one. $800 for the Generals. Truck doesn't go "off road" so no need for AT tires. The AT tires it had on it when I bought the truck made for a very rough ride, and I was swapping kidney stones with eyeteeth. Ride quality is vastly improved with the Generals, but I surmise it would be similar to the Michelins. I have Michelins on my '13 Yukon XL and it rides very well. and they've got close to 60K on them now. To discount Michelins because of 1 failure is, IMO kind of like swearing off sex because you caught the clap once in a thousand sessions. Now if they were Firestone's or Uniroyals I'd agree with you. I've had more porous sidewalls on Uniroyals since 1965 (new cars, new tires) than I can shake a stick at. I STILL don't trust Firestones since the 90's explorer flip overs (partially Ford's fault IMO).

Tread separation at less than 30K is not always a defect in the tire. Like Ford Doctor said it could be caused by damage, improper inflation and overloading. If you still have it, I'd take the tire in to a Michelin Dealer(see if you can find the remains at the separation location) and have them contact corporate (engineering). They may take the tire for forensic analysis.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a bad tire problem i wanted to post on here..i have a 2016 f350 6.7 that had 29700 miles,Michelin tires on it when i bought it new.It threw the center,entire rubber, off the tire going 65 mph.Fortunately,the very center of the tire core was still holding air so i limped home about 12 miles.I then,went and put 4 new coopers on..my tire size is 275 65 R20..i will NEVER own a michelin tire again..
I have had Michelin tires separate on two my trucks. They have had serious issues in the past and have been the subject of recalls. The cost to repair the damage has been well of 10k. The mileage was not excessive.

I think the issue is, the desert southwest heat is to much for them. If you choose to run these tires, I would not have them on the ground over 5 years. That includes the spare, even if it has never been used.

I think my next set will be Nitto.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had a difficult time getting michelins balanced, both on my F250 and on my wife's SUV. I want a great tire but am tired of constant vibration at 75MPH.

Happy you were able to make it home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts